In this Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4 walkthrough, you’ll see the beginning and ending moments of cutscenes and gameplay for this newest action-adventure game in the Lego series from Warner Bros. based on the first four Harry Potter books & movies. This guide covers the Wii, Xbox 360, PS3, PC & PSP versions.
The game tells the story of Harry’s first four years at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4 brings a mix of magical gameplay and light-hearted humour. Playing as Harry Potter, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, as well as other favourite characters, you’ll have the opportunity to attend lessons, cast spells, mix potions, fly on broomsticks and complete tasks to earn house points. Throughout the game, you’ll also have the freedom to explore iconic settings from the wizarding world including Hogwarts castle, Diagon Alley (these first two are the game’s hub), the Forbidden Forest and the village of Hogsmeade!
As commentator Jester says, the format for this walkthrough is going through the game level by level. Each level or lesson is named after its Leaky Cauldron notice board’s black-and-white photo, so it’s easy to find the level you need help with or to search for the level you’re stuck on. Let’s begin!
Table of Contents
- Year 1, Level 1: The Magic Begins
- Year 1: Hogwarts
- Year 1: Wingardium Leviosa Lesson
- Year 1, Level 2: Out of the Dungeon
- Year 1: Hogwarts Lumos
- Year 1: Herbology, Lumos & Flying Lessons
- Year 1, Level 3: A Jinxed Broom
- Year 1, Level 4: The Restricted Section
- Year 1, Level 5: The Forbidden Forest
- Year 1, Level 6: Face of the Enemy
- Year 2, Level 1: Floo Powder
- Year 2: Mandrake Handling Lesson
- Year 2: Immobulus Lesson
- Year 2, Level 2: Dobby’s Plan
- Year 2: Expelliarmus Lesson
- Year 2: Polyjuice Potion
- Year 2, Level 3: Crabbe and Goyle
- Year 2, Level 4: Tom Riddles Diary
- Year 2, Level 5: Follow the Spiders
- Year 2, Level 6: The Basilisk
- Year 3, Level 1: News from Azkaban
- Year 3: Riddikulus & Divination Lessons
- Year 3: Buckbeak Handling
- Year 3: Journey to Hogsmeade
- Year 3, Level 2: Hogsmeade
- Year 3, Level 3: Mischief Managed
- Year 3: Patronus Charm Lesson & Womping Willow
- Year 3, Level 4: The Shrieking Shack
- Year 3, Level 5: Dementors Kiss
- Year 3, Level 6: The Dark Tower
- Year 4, Level 1: The Quidditch World Cup
- Year 4: Ageing Potion Lesson
- Year 4, Level 2: Dragons
- Year 4, Level 3: Reducto Spell Lesson & The First Task
- Year 4, Level 4: Secret of the Egg
- Year 4, Level 5: The Black Lake
- Year 4, Level 6: The Dark Lord Returns
- Frequently Asked Questions
Index of LEGO Harry Potter Guides
- This Page: Walkthrough Years 1-4
- New Page: Cheat Codes, Tips and Secrets Guide
- New Page: Characters List & Unlock Guide
- New Page: Gold & Red Bricks Locations Guide
- New Page: Crests Locations Guide
- New Page: Students In Peril Locations Guide
- New Page: Achievements & Trophies Guide
- For Fun: Wallpapers
General play tip for when you’ve lost your way: If you are lost in game try following the trail of Ghost Studs. These do not count towards your stud total, but will guide you to the next section of the level.
General play tip for finding new characters: Most people will only be able to unlock minor characters like Oliver Wood and Hannah Abbott on their first playthrough. For unlocking the remaining playable characters in Story Mode, we recommend replaying levels in Freeplay Mode after you finished the game. You’ll still have to buy them, but you need to collect the icon/crest on a level first before you can. So that’s why we’ve added as many unlockable character tips to this walkthrough as we could to try and help you find them all!
How to open Harry’s Vault: You will need to use Hagrid to pull the heavy lever next to the fire breathing dragon. Doing this will allow the Goblin to gain access to the Vault. Only strong characters can pull levers and later Harry will learn to make a Strength Potion that will allow him to do this on his own.
After entering train platform 9 3/4th, in Part 2 of Year 1 you are welcomed to Hogwarts.
To unlock the Golden Brick: In the bedroom you must destroy all four of the beds by aiming your magic at them. After you have destroyed all the beds a golden brick will appear floating above one of them. Use the bed to bounce high enough to grab it.
To unlock the Gryffindor Boy character: Look behind the sofa he is sleeping on.