Welcome to the Red Dead Redemption 2 Legendary Animals locations guide that helps you find the total of 16 Legendary Animals locations in the PS4 & Xbox One Western action-adventure prequel game.
The Timeline for all these in-game Legendary Animals locations is listed below.
Finding all 16 Legendary Animal locations and picking them up will help unlock the following Achievements / Trophies:
* “Skin Deep” (30 Gamerscore / Bronze Trophy) — Skin every species of animal in Story Mode.
* “Zoologist” (20 Gamerscore / Bronze Trophy) — Study every animal across all states in Story Mode.
Index of Red Dead Redemption 2 Guides:
- This Page: Red Dead Redemption 2 Legendary Animals Locations Guide
- Next Page: Red Dead Redemption 2 Cheats
- Next Page: Red Dead Redemption 2 Money Cheat
- Next Page: How To Fast Travel In Red Dead Redemption 2
- Next Page: Red Dead Redemption 2 Online Glitches
- Next Page: Red Dead Redemption 2 Online Cheats
- Next Page: Red Dead Redemption 2 Online Money Cheat
- Next Page: Red Dead Redemption 2 Online Treasure Maps Locations Guide
- Next Page: Red Dead Redemption 2 Online: How To Level Up Fast Guide
Red Dead Redemption 2 Legendary Animals
There are a total of 15 Legendary Animals that you can find and hunt in the open world of Red Dead Redemption 2. There is an additional 16th legendary animal, the Giaguaro Panther, which is included in a separate video guide below, since it requires you to complete all Master Hunter challenges — AKA once you reach Master Hunter 10 — in order for it to appear on the map.
Note: None of the legendary animals are missable and you can hunt them at any time. Two animals, the bear and the bullgator require story progress in order to hunt them. Three animals you need to complete the story for because they are in an area that’s unavailable until the Epilogue. The animals in New Austin require you to complete Chapter 6 in order to reach them as well.
Tip: The pelts and horns from the legendary animals can be used to craft talismans, outfits and much more at the trapper/fence. It is well worth hunting them all. You also need to hunt 5 Legendary Animals for 100% completion.
Protip: In Chapter 2 after the bear hunt with Hosea you get the Legendary Animals map, which can be viewed in your Satchel under Documents.
Hint: If you get to an area and it says you cannot hunt the legendary animal due to activity in the area, this means there’s either too many animals or people in the area. Run around and shoot to get the animals to run off. Move away from the animal and then come back in order for the spawn to trigger*. Track the animal 3 times and then it will appear nearby after finding the third clue.
* You can recognize the Legendary animal spawn trigger when you see the following text on-screen: “You have entered Legendary Animal Territory. Hunt this Legendary Animal by finding and inspecting clues”. Only after that message appears will clues spawn, but they show up at random spots within the search area. So you have to press in the L3 + R3 analogue sticks on PS4 — OR press in the LS + RS analogue sticks on Xbox One — to enter eagle vision and look for the yellow dust track clues. Follow 3 of these yellow dust clues to find the trail that leads to the Legendary animal.
Where to find all Legendary Animals in Red Dead Redemption 2? The in-game collectibles locations for the Legendary Animals are described in this detailed video guide.
The Legendary Animals are listed in the step-by-step video, in the order that they appear chronologically.
Timeline in minutes for the Legendary Animals Locations Guide:
• [0:00] — Legendary Animal Location #1: Legendary Buck
• [2:18] — Legendary Animal Location #2: Legendary Big Horn Ram
• [4:08] — Legendary Animal Location #3: Legendary Bison
• [5:48] — Legendary Animal Location #4: Legendary Wolf
• [7:48] — Legendary Animal Location #5: Legendary Elk
• [9:34] — Legendary Animal Location #6: Legendary Bharati Grizzly Bear
• [11:18] — Legendary Animal Location #7: Legendary Moose
• [13:35] — Legendary Animal Location #8: Legendary Beaver
• [15:49] — Legendary Animal Location #9: Legendary Boar
• [17:31] — Legendary Animal Location #10: Legendary Bull Gator
• [19:23] — Legendary Animal Location #11: Legendary Fox
• [21:21] — Legendary Animal Location #12: Legendary Coyote
• [23:25] — Legendary Animal Location #13: Legendary Tatanka Bison
• [25:29] — Legendary Animal Location #14: Legendary Pronghorn
• [27:51] — Legendary Animal Location #15: Legendary Cougar
• Legendary Animal Location #16: Legendary Giaguaro Panther — Unlock Requirement: Complete all Master Hunter challenges (reach Master Hunter 10) in order for it to appear on the map.
There you go! All Legendary Animals in Red Dead Redemption 2 are yours! 🙂
I hope these tips helped you get all of the Legendary Animals hidden in the game.
Please check out our other “How To” guides listed at the top of this page to enjoy Red Dead Redemption 2 more! 😀
Huge thanks to Harry for the guide videos and tips.
Please comment if you have any additional Red Dead Redemption 2 Legendary Animals location tips of your own, we’ll give you credit for it. – Thanks for visiting!