Our Broken Age Act 2 walkthrough will guide you through the beginning to ending moments of gameplay with puzzle solutions & strategy tips for this point-and-click graphic adventure on the PC, Mac, Linux, PS4, PS Vita, iOS & Android.
Note: This continues on from the Broken Age: Act 1 Walkthrough. Act 2 will be available to the public from April 28-29th on all platforms, and this conclusion will arrive as a free update to the PC/Mac/Linux/Mobile game.
Let’s start the Broken Age Act 2 walkthrough with an introduction video!
Table of Contents
Index of Broken Age Guides:
- This Page: Broken Age: Act 2 Walkthrough
- Next Page: Broken Age: Act 1 Walkthrough
- Next Page: Broken Age Cheats
- Next Page: Broken Age Achievements Guide
- Next Page: Broken Age Trophies Guide
Broken Age Act 2 Walkthrough
The first graphic adventure by Tim Schafer in sixteen years, Broken Age began three years ago in a historic, record-breaking Kickstarter campaign. Now it’s here in all its beautiful, 2D, hand-painted glory, with an original orchestral soundtrack and an all-star vocal cast.
Broken Age is a timeless coming-of-age story of barfing trees and talking spoons. Vella Tartine and Shay Volta are two teenagers in strangely similar situations, but radically different worlds. The player can freely switch between their stories, helping them take control of their own lives, and dealing with the unexpected adventures that follow.
They said adventure games were dead, but then Broken Age punched its hand out of the grave and grabbed you by the wrist and you screamed just like in the end of Carrie except what you screamed was “I love adventure games so much!” And sorry I spoiled the end of Carrie.
Broken Age is a point-and-click adventure telling the stories of a young boy and girl leading parallel lives. The girl has been chosen by her village to be sacrificed to a terrible monster — but she decides to fight back. Meanwhile, a boy on a spaceship is living a solitary life under the care of a motherly computer, but he wants to break free to lead adventures and do good in the world. Adventures ensue.
Key Game Features:
- Original soundtrack, composed by Peter McConnell, recorded by the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra.
- All-star voice cast, including Elijah Wood, Jack Black, Jennifer Hale, Wil Wheaton, and Pendleton Ward.
- Dialog Trees!
- Some jokes. Unless you don’t think they’re funny, in which case we totally weren’t trying to be funny.
- A whole bunch of awesome PUZZLES.
- This one really hard puzzle that you won’t get but you’ll look it up online and not tell anybody.
- All your hopes and dreams.
Welcome to the Broken Age Act 2 walkthrough! Doug will be your voice-over commentator guiding you through the game’s areas.
The game’s creator Tim Schafer recommends you play through Act 1 again before you start Act 2 to get a story refresher course. To quote: “There are just so many hints and story set ups that happen in Act 1 that you need to remember for Act 2 to make sense. Anyway, whatevs. You don’t have to start over. That’s just my recommendation. I’m like that waiter that tells you how to eat your food. No actual legal authority, but you know he’s right about the ponzu sauce.”
Vella begins inside the beast that she knocked out at the end of Act 1. Whereas Shay emerges on the Shellmound Beach where Mog Chothra fell, where he meets his dad and wanders to the left to look for help.
Here’s the detailed Shay & Vella Finale walkthrough courtesy of the creators. After the the Mog ships have collided in front of the Plague Dam, Shay and Vella need to figure out a way to get unstuck.
• Go to Hallway Bedroom
• Pick up the bustedSafety Hexipal
• Look on the back of the Safety Hexipal to get the correct Safety Ability Codes
• Go to Mom’s Room
• Use the Laser Trigger
• A series of cutscenes will play, in one of which Alex will run through the door leading to the Lower Deck. Door to the Lower Deck is now open.
Switch to Shay:
• Split Screen plays and cuts to Pyramid Interior.
• Go through the now opened door to the Lower Deck
• Click on the Logbook to get the Harp Ability Code
• Head towards the Power Room, encountering the Droogs.
• Droogs prevent you from going to the Laser Switch.
• Go to Music Room
• Pick up the Broken Radio
• Go upstairs to the Dead Eye God Interior
• Use Broken Radio on Electrical Genius Hexipal who is dancing with Rocky (a cutscene plays where the Genius fixes the radio). Electrical Genius Hexipal is added to Shay’s inventory
• Optional – Give Fixed Radioto Alex
• Program Electrical Genius Hexipal to use the Harp Ability
• Head to Empty Hull, towards the Power Room
• Use Electrical Genius Hexipal on Droogs. They now worship it and you by association — they will follow you around. Unfortunately, they’re still blocking the entrance to the Power Room, so you have to lure them to the music room to distract them.
• Go to the Music Room
• The Droogs stand by the door and as soon as Shay makes a motion towards the door, they appear to exit (ahead of Shay)
• To distract them, use Electrical Genius Hexipal on the Harp that’s in the room. The Droogs will now pretend to play the Harp and will not follow you out of the room (since their real object of affection is the ELECTRICAL GENIUS)
• Head to Power Room
• Get the Mallet from the power switch
• Walk round the back of the pillar
• Hit the Power Switch to restore power to the laser
• Go back to Music Room
• Pick up the Electrical Genius Hexipal from the Harp
• Reprogram the Hexipal for Safety Ability
• Combine Electrical Genius Hexipal + Mallet in the inventory
• Use Electrical Genius Hexipal + Mallet on Drum in the room. All the Droogs begin to make wild noise that summons Alex.
• Head back to the Pyramid Interior
Switch to Vella:
• From the Main Bridge head to Situation Room.
• Pick up SCRAP WIRE from console.
• Go to Nav Room.
• Wire the Safety Hexipal to Harp Playing Ability
• Climb down the stairs
• Use Safety Hexipal on Space Weaver’s Scarf to tickle him. Cutscene plays that summons Mom from her room.
• (If Shay has messed with the Grabbing Gary, causing Mom to shut it down, head to Mom’s Room, else head to the Main Bridge)
• Verify that the Boom Arm Controls setting is “Manual”
• Head to Main Bridge
Switch to Shay:
• Alex should still be distracted in the Music Room.
• Head to the Dead Eye God Interior
• Use Grabbin’ Garry Button
Switch to Vella:
• On the Main Bridge. Mom should still be distracted in the Nav Room.
• Use the Laser Trigger again!
How to figure out the Hexipal Wiring Puzzle Solutions:
The six glyphs each correspond to one of the six nodes on the back of the hexipal.
Let’s give them numbers…
6 – 2
5 – 3
Wire the hexipal like this using the three pieces of wire allowed for rewiring.
Note that the direction of the electrical pulse, does matter, and is denoted with “to” below…
1 to 2
3 to 4
5 to 6
Place the hexipal in the charge slot and it’ll show you a glyph corresponding to the node
numbers above. Draw these out next to each number.
Using this chart you can wire the hexipal in the correct order to match the patterns…
• Charge Up: Is the pattern for Shay in Act 2. Acquired from the photo in Hope’s Room.
• Dance: Is the default pattern for Shay’s Hexipal in Finale.
• Harp: Is the pattern used for Shay’s harp and Vella’s scarf. Pattern is acquired in Finale, Lower Deck.
After completing the last puzzle, you will get to see the Act 2 ending, credits and final cutscene.
[Work-In-Progress: Please comment to let us know what other puzzles you want instructions for!]
Do you need help anywhere? Please don’t hesitate to ask in the comments section below. We’re here to help out!