How to unlock all Super Smash Bros 3DS stages? That question will be answered in this guide that shows you for Super Smash Bros 3DS how to unlock all stages, so you know how to get the full roster of 34 stages in the Nintendo 3DS fighting game.
Below we’ve listed the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS secret stages. Take the following steps to unlock each one, so that all 7 Super Smash Bros 3DS unlockable stages will be available to you.
Watch The Latest Gaming News:
Table of Contents
- Unlockable Stages
- How To Unlock Balloon Fight
- How To Unlock Dream Land
- How To Unlock Pac-Maze
- How To Unlock Mute City
- How To Unlock Magicant
- How To Unlock WarioWare, Inc.
- How To Unlock Flat Zone 2
- Downloadable Stages
Index of Super Smash Bros 3DS Guides:
- This Page: How To Unlock Super Smash Bros 3DS Stages
- Next Page: How To Unlock All Super Smash Bros 3DS Characters
- Next Page: Super Smash Bros 3DS Cheats
How To Unlock All Super Smash Bros 3DS Stages
Stages are where you’ll fight your Smash battles. The lineup of stages is different between the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U versions of the game. Game director Masahiro Sakurai mentioned that in the Nintendo 3DS version the stages are mainly drawn from other handheld games.
As you can tell from the stage select screen, when you first start the game there are only 27 available stages out of the 34 total stages to choose from in the roster.
* Stages marked with an asterix have previously appeared (as a similar or the same version) in the original Super Smash Bros., Melee or Brawl games.
Already Unlocked Stages In Both 3DS & Wii U Versions:
1. Battlefield (from the Super Smash Bros. series)*
2. Boxing Ring (from Punch-Out!!)*
3. Final Destination (from the Super Smash Bros. series)*
4. Gaur Plain (from Xenoblade Chronicles)
5. Wily Castle (from Mega Man 2)
Already Unlocked 3DS Exclusive Stages:
6. 3D Land (from Super Mario 3D Land)
7. Arena Ferox (from Fire Emblem: Awakening)
8. Brinstar (from Metroid)*
9. Corneria (from Star Fox)*
10. Distant Planet (from Pikmin)*
11. Find Mii (from Find Mii II/Street-Pass Quest II; Nintendo 3DS)
12. Gerudo Valley (from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D)
13. Golden Plains (from New Super Mario Bros. 2)
14. Green Hill Zone (from Sonic the Hedgehog)*
15. Jungle Japes (from Donkey Kong Country)*
16. Living Room (from Nintendogs)
17. Mushroomy Kingdom (from Super Mario Bros.)*
18. Paper Mario (from Paper Mario: Sticker Star)
19. PictoChat 2 (from the Nintendo DS)
20. Prism Tower (from Pokemon X and Y)
21. Rainbow Road (from Mario Kart 7)
22. Reset Bomb Forest (from Kid Icarus: Uprising)
23. Spirit Train (from The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks)
24. Tomodachi Life (from Tomodachi Life)
25. Tortimer Island (from Animal Crossing: New Leaf)
26. Unova Pokemon League (from Pokemon Black and White Version)
27. Yoshi’s Island (from Yoshi’s Island DS)*
The final 7 of the 34 total in-game Super Smash Bros 3DS stages will become available by meeting certain in-game requirements.
Below we’ve listed the 7 secret stages in order, from easy to hard, in which you can unlock them…
3DS Secret Stages:
28. Balloon Fight (from Balloon Fight)
29. Dream Land (from Kirby’s Dream Land; Game Boy Stage)
30. Pac-Maze (from Pac-Man)
31. Mute City (from F-Zero; GBA Stage)
32. Magicant (from EarthBound)
33. WarioWare, Inc. (from WarioWare, Inc.)*
34. Flat Zone 2 (from the Game & Watch; Game & Watch Stage)*
Click on any of these secret stage thumbnails to see the full-size picture gallery:
How To Unlock All Secret Stages in Super Smash Bros 3DS:
At 1:04 minutes, this video also shows all secret Super Smash Bros 3DS stages unlocked!
How To Unlock All Additional Stages?: There is only one method to getting each of the rest of the stages. Next we show you a rundown of the different unlocking methods for the secret stages individually!
Unlock Method: Play as the Villager in 3 matches. For example in Smash Mode battles on 3 different stages. — It doesn’t matter whether you win or lose, and if it’s in offline or online matches, as long as you play as him and complete each fight you will unlock Balloon Fight (from the Balloon Fight series) as a new stage.
Tip: Set a Smash Mode VS. match settings to 1 CPU Opponent and 1 Stock. Then at the start of each match immediately jump off the stage platform to KO yourself. That still counts as a match played.
Unlock Method: Use Kirby’s Final Smash at any point, hit your opponent with it, and then finish the match. To perform a Final Smash you must destroy a rainbow-colored flying Smash Ball while playing as Kirby. For example in a Smash Mode battle. — After that you will unlock the Game Boy stage (from Kirby’s Dream Land) as a new stage.
Tip: To quickly get a Smash Ball, spawn one in Training Mode and have Kirby hit & use it.
Unlock Method: Use Pac-Man’s Final Smash at any point, hit your opponent with it, and then finish the match. To perform a Final Smash you must destroy a rainbow-colored flying Smash Ball while playing as Pac-Man. For example in a Smash Mode battle. — After that you will unlock the Pac-Maze stage (from Pac-Man) as a new stage.
Tip: To quickly get a Smash Ball, spawn one in Training Mode and have Pac-Man hit & use it.
Unlock Method: Play as Captain Falcon and win 3 matches. For example in 3 Smash Mode battles. — After that you will unlock the Mute City GBA stage (from F-Zero) as a new stage.
Tip: Set a Smash Mode VS. match settings to 1 Level 1 CPU Opponent and 1 Stock and to the highest damage ratio. Then you can win each match easily, since every single hit will cause your opponent to get knocked back a lot.
Unlock Method: Unlock Ness, as detailed below. — After unlocking him you will simultaneously unlock the new Magicant / EarthBound stage in the game.
Ness Unlock Method #1: In Smash Mode play 10 VS. matches with any stage, and then beat Ness in a fight. — It doesn’t matter whether you win or lose, and if it’s in offline or online matches, as long as you defeat him in the battle that follows* you will unlock Ness.
* New Challenger Hint: Don’t worry if you lose the battle against a character that challenges you, because he/she/it will keep challenging you at the end of every VS. match after that. That is, until you defeat and thus unlock him/her/it.
Ness Unlock Method #2: Finish Classic Mode for the second time with any stage, on any Intensity difficulty level**. And then after the ending credits have rolled beat Ness in a fight to get him.
How To Beat Ness In Battle: In this video guide Yoshiller shows (at 16:05 minutes in) how to beat Ness in his “A Challenger Approaches!” battle. After his defeat, he’ll be unlocked for play in the stage roster.
Unlock Method: Unlock Wario, as detailed below. — After unlocking him you will simultaneously unlock the new Made in Wario / WarioWare Inc stage in the game.
Wario Unlock Method #1: In Smash Mode play 30 VS. matches with any stage, and then beat Wario in a fight. — It doesn’t matter whether you win or lose, and if it’s in offline or online matches, as long as you defeat him in the battle that follows you will unlock Wario.
Wario Unlock Method #2: In Multi-Man Smash Mode finish the 100-Man Battle challenge with any stage.
How To Beat Wario In Battle: In this video guide Yoshiller shows (at 15:55 minutes in) how to beat Wario in his “A Challenger Approaches!” battle. After his defeat, he’ll be unlocked for play in the stage roster.
Unlock Method: Unlock Mr. Game & Watch, as detailed below. But that’s not all, you will also need to gain access to the 2nd Challenges Panel by clearing the 1st Page of Challenges. — After that you will unlock the new Flat Zone 2 / Game & Watch stage in the game.
Mr. Game & Watch Unlock Method #1: In Smash Mode play 90 VS. matches with any stage, and then beat Mr. Game and Watch in a fight. — It doesn’t matter whether you win or lose, and if it’s in offline or online matches, as long as you defeat him in the battle that follows you will unlock Mr. Game & Watch.
Mr. Game & Watch Unlock Method #2: Finish Classic Mode for the tenth time with any stage, on any Intensity difficulty level. And then the tenth time after the ending credits have rolled beat Mr. Game and Watch in a fight to get him.
How To Beat Mr. Game and Watch In Battle: In this video guide SonicFan shows how to beat Mr. Game and Watch in his “A Challenger Approaches!” battle. After his defeat, he’ll be unlocked for play in the stage roster.
Future DLC Stages: In the Summer of 2014 rumors possibly leaked from Nintendo of Japan that hinted at DLC (downloadable content). Adding new stages through future stages DLC is more likely than you may think, because Nintendo worldwide are already doing this with New Super Mario Bros. 2 on the 3DS & Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U by adding new stages/tracks there via “DLC Packs” on the Nintendo 3DS eShop. 🙂
Note: Once enough time has passed after Super Smash Bros 3DS’s worldwide launch on October 3rd 2014, I’m sure no one will have a problem with the choice to download more stages for a small fee. It could also be free downloads from a possible Wii U version’s stage editor.
Update: Smart people have been making sense of the game files and extracted these stage-related DLC options:
“Set the stages that won’t appear, even when selection is set to random.
Turn all stages off.
Make all stages available when using random stage selection.
See stages you have downloaded.
See all regular stages.
Select OFF to exclude this stage from random stage selection.
Select ON to include this stage in random stage selection.”
These options to select new DLC stages confirm more stages are on the way! These DLC stages will fit perfectly in the 1 remaining black square on the stage select screen! You can see a picture of that at the top of this guide page.
Missing Stages from Previous SSB Games:
• Please comment to share which old (or new) stages you think should be added as downloadable stages???
This video shows footage of all the new stages in the game at launch:
This video shows each stage’s flat Final Destination Version (also called its Omega Form)*:
* How To Unlock A Stage Final Destination / Omega Form: On the stage select screen after choosing your stage to play on, press the X button to switch between the regular and Final Destination form. Then start playing.
In case you want to know, the Final Destination form for each stage is meant for competitive / tournament players who need a flat platform version to play on so it’s tourney legal. Meaning they need a stage with no hazards and items off, while still being able to listen to different stage music so that it doesn’t get boring, as previous games only had the one “Final Destination” stage that suited their needs.
Credits: Nintendo, Mike, TheRealSonicFan, Yoshiller, PushDustIn, Andre & GameChap.
What are your favorite Super Smash Bros 3DS stages?