Welcome to the Destiny Strange Coins locations guide that helps you find Strange Coins locations for the Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3 & PS4 open world Action-RPG FPS game.
This video guide shows the best Strange Coin “farming” locations:
The overview for many of these in-game Strange Coins locations is listed below.
Index of Destiny Guides:
- This Page: Destiny Strange Coins Locations Guide
- Next Page: Destiny: How To Level Up Fast Guide
- Next Page: Destiny Golden Chests Locations Guide
- Next Page: Destiny Loot Farming Locations Guide
- Next Page: Destiny Dead Ghosts Locations Guide
- Next Page: Destiny Rare & Legendary Engram Farming Guide
- Next Page: Destiny: How To Get Exotic Weapons Guide
- Next Page: Destiny Glimmer Farming Guide
- Next Page: Destiny: How To Unlock Shaders (Outfits)
- Next Page: Destiny: How To Unlock Grimoire Cards
- Next Page: Destiny: How To Unlock Ghost Shells
- Next Page: Destiny: How To Unlock Sparrows
- Next Page: Destiny: How To Unlock Emblems
- Next Page: Destiny: How To Level Up Weapons & Armor Fast
- Next Page: Destiny Public Events Locations Guide
- Next Page: Destiny: How To Get Infinite Ammo
- Next Page: Destiny Money Cheat
- Next Page: Destiny Grinding Guide
- Next Page: Destiny Walkthrough
- Next Page: Destiny Cheats
- Next Page: Destiny Achievements Guide
- Next Page: Destiny Trophies Guide
- Next Page: Destiny Glitches
- Next Page: Destiny Easter Eggs
- Next Page: Destiny Collectibles
Destiny Strange Coins
Strange Coins Description: “This unusual coin is warm to the touch and vibrates gently in your hand.”
How To Find Strange Coins: Can be obtained by completing weekly challenge activities like: Strike Missions and Weekly Heroic Strike Missions. You can also occasionally find them in Engrams and Loot Chests. More exact details follow below, but remember that right now they will only appear at random.
Where To Spend Strange Coins: Xur, the Agent of the Nine is a black market vendor that sells Rare, Legendary and Exotic gear & items in exchange for the Strange Coins currency in Destiny. He only appears on the weekends between Friday 9AM and Sunday 5AM. He’s located in The Tower, specifically:
– In Weekend 1 & 19: He was right next to The Crucible vendors like the Crucible Quartermaster (left of him in the dark corner).
– In Weekend 2: Instead of heading left into the Speaker’s chamber, look right, and you’ll find Xur in the Speakers area in front of a big gate.
– In Weekend 3: This week Xur is on the lower area of the Tower Hangar (in the furthest corner).
– In Weekend 20 (January 23-25, 2015): From the Tower starting point walk straight ahead until you reach the conference room where the Vanguard heads like Ikora Rey are and walk to the right side to find Xur.
In this original 2014 launch video guide Bryan shows where you could first find Xur (his most common location) and what he started selling in weekend #1 & now #19 in exchange for Strange Coins:
In this new 2015 video Doug shows where to next find Xur and what new stuff he’s selling in weekend #18:
Strange Coins In-Game Purpose: Is your character stuck at level 24? That’s because you need Exotic gear to further increase your level to 25 and above, which at present you can only buy from the Xur vendor! – Find out what your Strange Coins can buy in our “Destiny: How To Get Exotic Weapons Guide“.
Where to find all Strange Coins in Destiny? The in-game collectibles locations for the Strange Coins are described in this detailed guide.
The Strange Coins Locations Guide Overview:
• Strange Coin Location #1: Weekly Heroic Strike Mission
How To Obtain: 3 to 9 Strange Coins can be obtained by completing the Weekly Heroic Strike Mission.
Details: By playing on the three difficulties you can receive 3, then 3 again, and finally another 3 Strange Coins; so a new set of coins gets rewarded for each difficulty level on their first completion. But if you do the hardest one, you get all 9 Strange Coins in one go. (And you can do this for each level 20+ character you have.) — Thanks to Paolo for the tip!
• Strange Coin Location #2: Weekly Nightfall Strike Mission
How To Obtain: Between 4 to 8 Strange Coins can be obtained for completing the Weekly Nightfall Strike Mission.
Details: Nightfall can be found in the Strike Playlists, but it doesn’t unlock until you reach level 24.
• Strange Coin Location #3: Strike Playlists
How To Obtain: 1 or more Strange Coins are obtained by completing Strike Playlists at level 22 or level 24.
Details: Even if you solo through Strike Playlists you can get these Strange Coins as completion rewards.
• Strange Coin Location #4: Random Cryptarch Rank Rewards
How To Obtain: 1 or more Strange Coins are sometimes obtained by leveling up the Cryptarch, Master Rahool’s Crypto-Archeology Rank (Reputation) when you visit him at the Tower plaza.
Details: The Cryptarch will mail you a package to pick up at the Postmaster each time you level him up (except for Rank 2) that may contain a Strange Coin. He ranks up by decrypting lots of Engrams (requires you have lots of Glimmer). Which in turn unlocks new Engrams for you to buy with Glimmer from the Cryptarch, which will further increase his Rank.
Tip: To make this easier for you, check out our “Destiny Glimmer Farming Guide” page.
Bonus Tutorial: This Destiny guide will show you how to get fast Cryptarch Rank for more Strange Coin rewards.
• Strange Coin Location #5: Cryptarch Decrypting Engrams
How To Obtain: 1 Strange Coin is sometimes received when decrypting the light blue Decoherent or purple Legendary Engrams at the Cryptarch in the Tower.
Details: At present this is the closest you can get to Strange Coin farming in Destiny.
Tip: To make this easier for you, check out our “Destiny Rare & Legendary Engram Farming Guide” page.
• Strange Coin Location #6: Golden Chest 4 on Mars
How To Obtain: 1 Strange Coin will be rewarded to you for opening up four Golden Chests on Mars.
Details: This always happens when you open the 4th Golden Chest on Mars in any order, but if you follow the chronological video below it will appear at The Iron Line area’s Golden Chest. — Although Bungie may have patched to remove it as of sometime in January 2015.
Tip: Find out exactly where the golden loot chests are on our “Destiny Golden Chests Locations Guide” page. Or watch Maka’s video guide here…
• Strange Coin Location #7: Story Mission: Scourge of Winter on Venus
How To Obtain: 1 Strange Coin is given as a reward for killing the Draksis, the House of Winter’s Kell boss at the end of the “Story Mission: Scourge of Winter” on Venus.
Details: Once defeated, he will drop a ‘Strange Trinket’ artifact, which you’re then able to turn into the Cryptarch and he’ll give you a ‘Strange Coin’. Even if you forget, upon arrival at the Tower plaza, the game will give you an on-screen reminder: “Collect Reward: Speak to the Cryptarch to collect a reward.” – You cannot farm this location for Strange Coins, but it hasn’t been tried with the other 2 of the 3 character slots you have in the game, so you may yet be able to get 3 Strange Coins at this spot. — Thanks to KSI for the hint!
Tip: See how to complete this Level 12 Story Mission on our “Destiny Scourge of Winter Walkthrough” page.
• Strange Coin Location #8: Random Public Event Rewards
How To Obtain: 1 Strange Coin can sometimes be obtained by completing a random Public Event.
Details: These Fireteam group events may happen while on Patrol or within Strike missions. Afterwards the Postmaster in The Tower will have the Strange Coin for you.
Tip: See where to find Public Events on our “Destiny Public Events Locations Guide” page.
• Strange Coin Location #9: Random Loot Drop or Mission
How To Obtain: 1 Strange Coin is in rare cases received as a random loot drop or as a reward for finishing a Mission.
• Strange Coin Location #10: Random The Crucible Match Reward
How To Obtain: 1 Strange Coin is in rare cases received as a The Crucible match reward.
• Strange Coin Location #11: Random Silver Chest
How To Obtain: 3 Strange Coins are in rare cases found on Venus, in a Silver Chest, while playing with a friend.
Details: No further details available at this time. — Thanks to Deamon for the tip!
• Strange Coin Location #12: Buy from Xur
How To Obtain: [NO LONGER AVAILABLE] For a few hours on Friday morning on the 2nd weekend since release, 3 Strange Coins could be traded for materials at the Xur black market vendor in the Tower. You could buy 1 Strange Coin in exchange for 2,500 Glimmer, again for 77 Spinmetal, and once again for 77 Spirit Bloom.
Update: Bungie removed the Strange Coins from Xur’s inventory entirely, because people kept deleting & recreating characters to use their shared pool of lots of Glimmer to get more than the intended limit of 9 Strange Coins (3 per each of the 3 character slots). In doing so fans had “inadvertently” created a Strange Coin farming method. – Hopefully buying Strange Coins for Glimmer from Xur will return later on with a limit set to each user account instead of a character.
Click on any of these Strange Coin Location thumbnails to see the full-size picture gallery:
There you go! Good luck making the Strange Coins in Destiny yours! 🙂
Thanks to Joe, Dychronic, Maka & Lazydogweb for the extra tips.
Please comment if you have any additional Destiny Strange Coins location tips of your own, we’ll give you credit for it. – Thanks for visiting!