What were the Top 10 best selling games in May 2014 in the United States?
The newest NPD numbers are in, and so are the top lists of the highest selling game systems and games for last month in America.
Watch The Latest Gaming News:
Here is the full Top 10 of May 2014:
1. Watch Dogs (PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)** — 4+ Million Sales in 1 week!
2. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) — 1.2+ Million Sales in 2 days!
3. MLB 14: The Show (PS4, PS3, PSV)
4. Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
5. Minecraft (Xbox 360, PS3)
6. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, 3DS, Wii U)
7. NBA 2K14 (Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, PC)**
8. Titanfall (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PC)**
9. Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)
10. Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, PC, Wii U)**
** Includes: CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware. Physical retail copies only.
A new multiplatform blockbuster franchise has been created with the release of the first Watch Dogs game. The release was the biggest week-one sales success (thanks to millions of pre-orders) that Ubisoft ever had with over 4 million copies sold!
Here’s the TV commercial…
System Sales in May 2014:
1. PlayStation 4 (#1 for the 5th month in a row)
2. Nintendo 3DS
3. Nintendo Wii U
4. Xbox One
5. Xbox 360
6. PlayStation 3
7. PlayStation Vita
Note: Only the first two spots are confirmed. The rest are estimates, no hard sales data was released for the month.
Check out the PS4 launch trailer…
Analysis of the game and hardware sales numbers:
Although NPD doesn’t by far track all digital sales, retail still gives a good impression of last month’s best selling video games.
To quote NPD industry analyst Liam Callahan…
About video games he said:
“Collectively, May 2014 launches sold 800 percent more in dollar sales than May 2013 launches did their respective launch months. New launches represented 50 percent of dollar sales this month, which compared to only 9 percent for new launches in May 2013.”
About hardware he said:
“Much of May 2014’s hardware growth was due to Xbox One and PS4, there was also year-over-year growth for the Wii U, and PS Vita thanks to successful bundles for Mario Kart 8 on Wii U and Borderlands 2 for the PS Vita.”