In our Zone of the Enders HD Collection Preview we go over what’s new in the upcoming HD Collection. This edition sees the return of two fan favorite sci-fi PS2 games from Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima, Zone of the Enders (2001) and the European special edition version of its sequel Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner (2003) are coming to Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in fully remastered format.
Zone of the Enders HD Collection will be released for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in America on October 30th, 2012 and in Europe & Australia in November 2012. The PlayStation Vita’s launch date has not yet been set.
Watch The Latest Gaming News:
The Zone of the Enders HD Collection Remaster Adds:
- HD Resolution.
- Redrawn Art.
- The framerate has been upped from the original 30 FPS to 60 FPS.
- The aspect ratio has been increased from 4:3 to 16:9, giving you even more of Z.O.E.’s signature silky smooth speed.
- Trophy/Achievement Support; look forward to a whole new way to enjoy Zone of the Enders.
- Improved Audio Support; resulting in crisper sound effects.
- Improved Rumble Support.
Next, series creator Hideo Kojima gives the inside scoop to Zone of the Enders HD Collection.
Here’s an interview with the Zone of the Enders creator Hideo Kojima about the HD Collection:
Here’s what Kojima-san has to say about the origins of the game.
“Robot anime, which is very popular in Japan, was the original inspiration for Zone of the Enders.” -Hideo Kojima
To quote: “Robot anime, which is very popular in Japan, was the original inspiration for Zone of the Enders. The main concept of the game was to create a world within which the robots move effortlessly. Typically robots have two legs and walk around slowly like ‘boom… boom… boom’, but the Z.O.E. robots are much faster and can move around very smoothly. They practically swim across the screen, they move around so freely.”
These two Z.O.E. games feature the compelling storytelling of Hideo Kojima paired with thrilling high-speed robot fights in a futuristic interplanetary setting. Players control fast and powerful mechs (robots) known as Orbital Frames to blast their enemies into oblivion.
Key Game Features Include:
- High speed robot action. Experience thrilling high-flying robot combat unlike anything you’ve felt before. Grab enemies, unleash a whirlwind of blade strikes up close, and fire off guns from a distance, all while spiraling freely in the open air.
- All new opening animations. Partnering once again with legendary animation house Sunrise (Gundam, Z.O.E Dolores,i), Zone of the Enders HD Collection includes a brand new opening animation, as well as re-renders of the original opening animations for Z.O.E. 1 and Z.O.E. 2.
- Achievement and Trophy support. Show off your accomplishments.
- Includes demo for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Get a first look at the slashtacular demo for the next Kojima Productions release in 2013. This is similar to how the first Z.O.E. game included the Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty demo back in 2001.
See a Zone of the Enders HD Collection graphics comparison to the originals:
For these HD remasters, Kojima Productions teamed up with Sunrise to create an anime opening linking Zone of the Enders and The 2nd Runner. Over 5 minutes long, this original sequence is a perfect introduction to the Z.O.E. world for those new to the series. In addition, the in-game anime cut-scenes have been converted to HD using the latest in upscaling technology. All the effects present in the PS2 versions have been beautifully recreated, preserving the series’ trademark fusion of anime and CG.
Watch the brand new Zone of the Enders HD Collection anime opening here:
Looks like the Z.O.E. HD Edition fans have been asking for will soon arrive!