E3 2012 Nintendo Press Conference Roundup: New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo Land, Wii Fit U, SiNG, Pikmin 3
The E3 2012 Nintendo Press Conference broadcast aired today, has revealed brand new information about Nintendo’s game lineup. Nintendo’s E3 2012 keynote conference started on June 6th at 9:00AM PDT / 12:00PM EDT / 5:00PM GMT and lasted an hour and a half. What follows is a bulletpoints roundup.
It started with the expected showings of all Wii U features, Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros. U, Luigi’s Mansion 2: Dark Moon, Lego City: Undercover. Surprises this year were: Batman: Arkham City – Armored Edition, Just Dance 4, ZombiU, with Scribblenauts Unlimited, Wii Fit U, SiNG, and Nintendo Land being revealed for the first time. Project P-100 and Game & Wario were announced after the show.
Watch The Latest Gaming News:
Here’s the full E3 2012 Nintendo broadcast video:
E3 2012 Nintendo Press Conference Roundup:
- Mr. Miyamoto (Mario/Zelda/DK creator) opened Nintendo’s E3 2012 presentation with a Wii U talk. Showing a black colored Wii U and Wii U GamePad controller.
- Pikmin 3 gets shown with gameplay trailer. It’s been 10 years since the original Pikmin game. The HD graphics resolution makes the playfield more detailed to see more and the environments more realistic. New Rock Pikmin, used to break hard objects. Basic controls with Wiimote and Nunchuck. But the Wii U GamePad-only controls will add precise aiming as you throw your Pikmin around the playfield, allowing up to four leaders control the playfield, heavily using the GamePad to give you an overview. New Fruit-collecting mode shown. Replay feature of your level can be viewed to learn
- Next Reggie (Nintendo USA president) gets whistled onto stage “like a Purple Pikmin” lol. Says 23 Wii U games will be shown on-stage, not all the Wii U & 3DS games on the showfloor this week, so more to come. Wii U promises to be “Games / Social / Entertainment”, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video & YouTube apps will come to the Wii U. Asymetric gameplay allows just one player to connect to lots of other players online.
- Wii U hardware will support two separate Wii U GamePads. A demonstration video displays all the buttons / gyroscope / rumble / speakers / camera features of the Wii U GamePad.
- The Wii U startup screen Miiverse is shown, lets you talk to your friends via speech bubbles next to their avatars to exchange messages / status updates with them via the touch screen. Miiverse will eventually be accessible via your 3DS, PC and mobile devides.
- New Super Mario Bros. U – a renamed New Super Mario Bros. Mii – will be compatible with Miiverse to connect with friends and family to talk about specific levels. Mario’s flying Squirrel Suit was shown. 4-player co-op is back. Baby Yoshi’s allow you to float like a balloon. The player with the GamePad can help other players throughout the level, as (s)he can see more of the level.
- Third party support for Wii U was shown off, starting with Warner Bros.’s Batman: Arkham City – Armored Edition. A unique experience: Scanning is done with the Wii U GamePad, and armored suits for Batman & Catwoman, there’s a new BAT mode that collects kinetic energy in his suit to expand all at once in a super attack, Batarang controlled with motion-controls.
- Scribblenauts Unlimited announced for Wii U. 5th Cell shows the new HD graphics in a trailer, you can create anything as you explore a more open world. And uncover the tale behind Maxwell’s magical notebook. You’ll be able to share items you created online with your friends and they’ll be added to their inventory to use! Voice actress Jennifer Hale (of Metal Gear Solid’s Naomi Hunter & Metroid Prime’s Samus Aran fame) will narrate the story.
- Wii U third party support showed footage for: Darksiders II, Mass Effect 3, Tank Tank Tank! from Namco Bandai, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Trine 2: Director’s Cut, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge, and Aliens Colonial Marines.
- 43 million copies of Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus have been sold worldwide. Wii Fit U announced for Wii U. The Wii U GamePad shows the second screen is used to bring you more into the sports games. New Fit Meter comes with it to allow you to run outside and when you get back add what you did to your calories burned per day counter. Mini-games include: Trampoline Jump, Snow racing game, Waiter balance game, and Body Test is a health management tool for your family, which takes pictures and weighs you to come to your ideal BMI, it allows you to only display such numbers only on the Wii GamePad privately.
- SiNG announced for Wii U. Is a karaoke machine. Wii U GamePad allows you to read the lyrics as you sing into the microphone.
- Scott from Europe comes on-stage to do a Nintendo 3DS talk for a few minutes, but on e3.nintendo.com he’ll give an hour-long talk Wednesday evening. New Super Mario Bros. 2 for 3DS has gold everywhere with even Mario himself turning into gold (if he collects enough coins?), Raccoon Suit shown in trailer. August 19th, 2012 release in America.
- Paper Mario for 3DS looks like paper dioramas. Collect stickers to turn into battle commands during fights or find secret places / hidden places. Promises more game depth. Coming this holiday season.
- Luigi’s Mansion 2: Dark Moon for 3DS. Luigi has mission-based challenges in each of the multiple mansions. Many new kinds of ghosts to capture.
- 3DS third-party lineup includes: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate, Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion, Scribblenauts Unlimited, and Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance.
- Lego City: Undercover for Wii U was shown off for the first time. It’s an open world game. It allows you to: Solve crimes using the Wii U GamePad, scan for hidden criminals, choose a disguise and go undercover, has your expected Lego game humor with lots of action-movie gags. A portable version for 3DS is also in development.
- Ubisoft shows off some games for Wii U. The games are Just Dance 4, up to four dancers can dance at the same time. The Wii U GamePad can decide the next move for the dancers, allows you to be the puppet-master.
- ZombiU exclusively for Wii U lets you use the GamePad as a radiation scanner, sniper zoom to lineup shots, shake to get rid of nearby zombies, hack doors to get away from zombies. One bite and you’re dead in the game.
- Ubisoft closes showing off the other Wii U games they have lined up, including: Assassin’s Creed III, Rabbids Land, Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013, Rayman Legends, Sports Connection, and The Avengers: Battle for Earth.
- Nintendo Land announced for Wii U. It’s like Wii Sports mini-games for the Wii U to let you understand the system’s features through play. Katsuya Wii U software producer explains the new types of play. Your Mii will visit a Nintendo theme park “Nintendo Land” with 12 different attractions to play in: The Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest, Pikmin Mini-game, Luigi’s Ghost Mansion (like Pac-Man Vs.), Animal Crossing: Sweet Day, Takamara’s Ninja Castle, Donkey Kong’s Crash Course, and more. Brand new forms of multiplayer gameplay promised with friends and family. Can also be used to play competitively by yourself. Miiverse ties into this game in 3D, may hint at online multiplayer? More details promised later on.
- Wii U launch reaffirmed for this year, with Holiday 2012 release date. Tagline: “Together. Better.”
- The Wii U’s “Panorama View” allows you to watch videos in all 360 degrees. The Wii U GamePad gives someone a second screen to see the same video from a different direction, at the same time!
- Project P-100 was announced for Wii U right after the show, the Wii U-exclusive action game is being developed by Platinum Games. In it you control a group of superheroes at the same time, with the goal to stop an alien invasion from destroying Earth.
- Game & Wario was announced for Wii U right after the show as well. As the name implies, it’s a mix between the micro-games from WarioWare and Game & Watch Gallery games. It features a collection of games that use only the Wii U GamePad controller.
The other E3 2012 Press Conference Roundups:
- E3 2012 Microsoft Press Conference Roundup
- E3 2012 Sony Press Conference Roundup
- E3 2012 Ubisoft Press Conference Roundup
- E3 2012 EA Press Conference Roundup