What were the best-selling games in America, Japan, and Europe this week? Thanks to Amazon online sales data here are the games that are the hottest. Think of it as a games weather report.
Thanks to Christmas shoppers the bestsellers seemed to have mostly been family-friendly and social multiplayer games.
What follows is a listing of the Top 10 bestsellers per region, for all systems combined.
North America’s Top 10 Games:
1. Just Dance 3 (Wii)
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360)
3. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360)
4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3)
5. Just Dance 3 (Xbox 360 Kinect)
6. Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception (PS3)
7. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword with Music CD (Wii)
8. Madden NFL 12 (Xbox 360)
9. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
10. Kinect Sports Season Two (Xbox 360 Kinect)
Just Dance 3 has made its debut and finally there’s a game out-shaking Just Dance 2 on the weekly charts! Ubisoft has made quite a splash with the series that’s now gone multiplatform, although the favorite version is still on Wii.
Here’s the launch trailer for the game.
Japan’s Top 10 Games:
1. Monster Hunter 3G (3DS)
2. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
3. Kirby of the Stars Wii (Wii)
4. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
5. Just Dance Wii (Wii)
6. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS3)
7. PokePark 2: Beyond the World (Wii)
8. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360)
9. Mobile Suit Gundam: EXTREME VS. (PS3)
10. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword – Special CD Limited Edition Bundle (Wii)
Capcom brings the Monster Hunter franchise to the 3DS handheld with Monster Hunter 3G. It’s the sequel to the popular Wii game Monster Hunter 3 (Tri) and scored a 38/40 (10/10/9/9) from reviews in the famous Japanese Famitsu gaming magazine. It’s also the first game to have a separate Bundle Pack that includes a copy of the game and the Nintendo 3DS “Slide Pad Extension” accessory.
Here are the game’s Japanese TV commercials.
Europe’s Top 10 Games:
1. Just Dance 3 – Special Edition (Wii)
2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360)
3. Professor Layton and the Spectre’s Call (DS)
4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360)
5. Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (Wii)
6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3)
7. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS3)
8. Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception (PS3)
9. ABBA: You Can Dance (Wii)
10. Zumba Fitness (Wii)
Activision may have pulled off the biggest media launch ever with 9 million copies of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 sold worldwide in its first 3 weeks in America alone. But Just Dance 3 still managed to out-sell it online. Crazy as it sounds, that may mean that in the coming year both games are set to have more than 25+ million worldwide sales!
Here’s Modern Warfare 3’s TV commercial.
To recap the top games per system:
- Just Dance 3 stays #1 on the Wii chart.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 stays at the top of the Xbox 360 & PS3 charts.
- Mario Kart 7 debuts at #1 on the 3DS chart.
- Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim right away captured the top of the PC chart.
- Monster High: Ghoul Spirit shows up on the DS chart.
- The Sims 3 Pets remains at the top of the Mac chart.
- Need for Speed Most Wanted returns at the top spot of the PSP chart.
- And lastly, Kingdom Hearts II appears on the PS2 chart, where it’s been for 5 years now.