Our New Super Mario Bros. DS Star Coins locations guide shows you how to find all 240 of the Star Coins in the levels of the Nintendo DS game. This includes both easily obtainable, and hard-to-find hidden coins, throughout the game worlds.
There are 240 golden Star Coins hidden in the game with three of them in each level (this includes Towers and Castles). There are 80 levels total spread across eight worlds.
Watch The Latest Gaming News:
Collecting the Star Coins will unlock hidden paths on the map which lead to Mushroom Houses, Cannons and other secret areas that are otherwise unaccessible. Also be on the lookout for Star Coin Signs. Located in various places on the map, you will need to pay the number of Star Coins shown on these signs in order to proceed beyond them to the new path now open to you.
What’s even more important than the new path though, is the fact that opening new paths allows you to save your game. The more paths you unlock, the more chances you have to save your progress and be safe in the knowledge all that hard work collecting coins will gain you great rewards! Have fun collecting them all like I did!
Table of Contents
- World 1 Star Coins
- World 2 Star Coins
- World 3 Star Coins
- World 4 Star Coins
- World 5 Star Coins
- World 6 Star Coins
- World 7 Star Coins
- World 8 Star Coins
Index of New Super Mario Bros DS Guides:
- This Page: Star Coins Locations Guide
- New Page: Walkthrough
- New Page: Cheats & Tips
- For Fun: Wallpapers
Coins Hidden In Level 1-1
1. You will find the first Star Coin on level 1-1 located half-way through the stage. It is hovering in the air above five blocks. There is a pipe directly before it. To reach the coin simply jump up to get it.
2. Right before you are about to reach the mid-level Checkpoint Flag, look for a pipe that you can enter. Once inside the pipe, run to the end and you’ll see the Star Coin hovering above another pipe, which once entered takes you back to the surface of the stage. To get the Star Coin, simply jump on top of the pipe and jump up to reach it.
3. The third coin is hidden underneath some blocks that seal it off from you being able to reach it. In order to gain access to the Star Coin, get a Super Mushroom become Super Mario (i.e. normal sized, not small Mario) or Fire Mario and Butt Stomp the blocks (Jump in the air and press the Down Button on the DS D-Pad). You can now grab the Star Coin.
Coins Hidden In Level 1-2
1. The first coin is located close to the beginning of the stage in an overhang. In order to get it, you will need to jump from the bridge before the overhang, to the blocks closest to the bridge, and then onto the overhang.
2. The second coin is located around the half-way point of the stage. You’ll see the Star Coin sealed off by some blocks. You’ll need to be Super or Fire Mario in order to Butt Stomp and break the blocks. You can then reach the Star Coin.
3. You’ll find the third Star Coin located nearby to the end of the level where you see a seesaw. In order to reach it you need to stand on one side of the seesaw so that the right part lifts upwards. Now run and jump so that you reach the top of the level. Run to the right past the exit pipe and you’ll find the third coin.
Coins Hidden In Level 1-3
1. Near the beginning of the stage you will notice a Spin Block. These special blocks will launch you in the air (Note: Hold Down on the DS D-Pad while in the Spin Jump to drill back to the ground!). Using the Spin Block, make sure to fly to the right, landing on another Spin Block. From that Spin Block fly to the right onto a pink mushroom. Use the mushroom to bounce into the air and get the first Star Coin.
2. In order to get the Coin #2, start from where you just got the first coin. From the Mushroom, follow the trail of regular coins downward. They will lead you directly to the second Star Coin. The other way you can get this coin is to jump from a mushroom to the right about halfway through the level.
3. The third Star Coin is easily found about halfway through the level right after the Checkpoint Flag. You’ll see a mushroom that is moving up and down. Wait until it reaches its peak height and jump to get coin #3.
Coins Hidden In Level 1-Tower
1. The first coin is easily found about a third of the way through the Tower stage. You’ll notice a stone that is moving up and down. Run across to get the Star Coin.
2. You’ll find Coin #2 at the Checkpoint Flag where you’ll see a Canon Pipe. After launching out of the Canon Pipe, hold Left on the DS D-Pad and slide down the wall. Then press the A Button to perform a Wall Jump to enter the door. Inside this room you’ll see the Star Coin high above several spiked blocks that move back and forth. Dodge them and jump to the top to get the Star Coin.
3. You’ll find this coin right before you reach the Checkpoint Flag in a room with several sliding blocks. Be careful not to fall and jump to reach the Star Coin in the middle of the room.
This video will show you how to get the Level 1-Tower Hidden Exit.
Coins Hidden on Level 1-4
1. To get the first Star Coin you’ll need to be Mini Mario by getting a Mini Mushroom from the Question Mark Block about a fourth of the way through the stage. After getting Mini’d, backtrack a bit and you’ll see a small Mini Pipe that you couldn’t enter before. Now that you are Mini, you can go into the Mini Pipe. Once inside, you’ll find the coin off to the right. Simply run across the water and Wall Jump to reach it.
2. The second coin is found within an enclosed area with breakable blocks on all sides. Before you see the enclosed area there is a Koopa Troopa. Jump on the Koopa and grab the shell. Use the Shell by throwing it into the enclosed area. This will break the blocks, allowing you to get inside. Now enter the pipe. DON’T collect the regular coins. Instead jump to hit the last block before the pipe leading up. The block will reveal a P-Switch. Jump on this to turn all the regular coins into solid blocks. The blocks lead up to the Star Coin.
3. You’ll easily see the third coin underneath an overhang. You’ll notice that there is a gap in the bottom. To get underneath and reach the coin, simply hold the B Button on the DS to dash while Small Mario. You’ll cross the gap without falling in and can then get the final Star Coin.
Coins Hidden In Level 1-5
1. The first Star Coin is easily seen near the top of the level close to the start of the stage. The coin has two regular coins on either side of it. To reach it simply press the A Button on the DS as you are bouncing on the pink mushroom. This will launch you high enough into the air to reach the coin. You may have to bounce a few times before you get the timing right.
2. The second coin is obtainable by using the scale-like hanging platforms. By standing on the left platform you’ll lower it while raising the right platform. Make sure not to stand on it too long or it’ll break and fall off. By making the right platform raise high enough, you can jump to reach it. However you can actually get this Star Coin by simply running fast enough and jumping over to it.
3. You’ll find a Vertical Pipe near the third set of Scale-like platforms. In order to get into the Pipe, you will need to slightly raise the right platform by standing on the left. Then jump onto the right platform and then hold Up on the DS while jumping at the opening to the Vertical Pipe. Once inside, you’ll see a raised mushroom platform. Stand on it and it’ll start moving you across, allowing you to reach the regular coins. Don’t be too tempted though cause you don’t want to fall off this platform while getting the regular coins. Ride the mushroom to the end and you’ll see the Star Coin in a series of regular coins making a mushroom shape.
Coins Hidden In Level 1-Castle
1. You’ll find the first Star Coin about halfway through the stage. There will be two rising and falling wall blocks with spikes on the bottom of them so they can crush you. Stand in between the gap of the two in order to survive. In the gap you’ll see the coin at the top. Simply Wall Jump on the sides of these blocks to reach it.
2. You’ll find the second Star Coin on a long gray block that raises and lowers. It is in between two ropes with a Dry Bones enemy walking across. You’ll see the coin adjacent to the block, but it will seem impossible to get it because it hovers just above the lava. Simply jump on the Dry Bones, and wait for the block to lower all the way. Soon you’ll see another small block come out of the laval beneath the coin. Jump and get the coin before the block beneath it sinks back into the lava.
3. Coin #3 is easily found near the end of a long rope. You’ll find a Vertical Pipe in the middel of this long rope. Hold Up on the DS and jump at the pipe to enter inside of it. You’ll see the Star Coin on the right, simply run over and get it.
Coins Hidden In Level 1-A
1. The first Star Coin is easily seen about a third of the way through the this swimming stage. All you need to do is swim upward to the top and collect your coin.
2. You’ll find Coin #2 about a third of the way through the waters. Simply swim up and get the coin.
3. The final coin is found close to the end of the level. You’ll need to swim through the crack as Small Mario in order to get the coin. Or you can backtrack around the other side if you are Big Mario and collect it that way.
Tags: New Super Mario Bros. DS