Valkyria Chronicles combines strategy elements of conventional tactical role playing games with real-time action sequences. The game is set in a fictitious continent reminiscent of 1930s, Europe divided in two and ruled by the Empire and the Federation. The Empire has set its sights on invading a small neutral country called Gallia, which is situated in the middle of the two great empires. The game follows a hero named Welkin and his fellow soldiers of the Federation’s 7th Platoon that are fighting against the Empire, who is intent on unifying the continent under its power.
Built upon the new “CANVAS” engine, Valkyria Chronicles’ ground-breaking 3D graphics resemble a watercolor painting in motion. Gameplay is centered around a new type of tactical battle concept. Known as “BLiTZ,” this battle concept gives players unique freedom to strategically move around the environment and attack enemies using real-time controls.
Watch The Latest Gaming News:
Aside from its looks, what makes this strategy RPG stand out? Find out in this Valkyria Chronicles video review.
Game features include:
* CANVAS graphics engine: Cutting-edge graphics engine producing breathtaking artwork fully leveraging the capabilities of the Playstation3. Creates images that look like watercolor paintings in motion.
* BLITZ tactical battle system: Experience strategic maneuvering of units as in conventional RPG gameplay; add the excitement of action games with real-time controls to command each player.
* Epic storyline: Players will immerse themselves in the epic struggle for freedom, as the fate of the world lies in the hands of Welkin and members of the 7th platoon.
* Customization: Over 100 customizable characters allow players to create a variety of platoons to suit each battle’s needs.
* Beautifully rendered battlefields: Players explore 30 different environments, using each terrain to gain advantage in battle.
To quote the GT video review: “From the opening sequence to the final credits, the visuals in Valkyria Chronicles never disappoint. Utilizing a unique cel-shading technique to create a wonderful watercolor, sketch book effect, there’s no other game that looks like it. The cutscenes feature both CG and in-engine work, but the difference is so minuscule that the style’s never compromised. It’s impressive, but not flawless, as the ragdoll physics are a bit overdone.
Comic book text appears to punctuate some of the authentic sound effects, and there’s wall-to-wall voice acting that really nails the script. Sega’s even included the Japanese dub. The score sets the tone, with several compositions standing out as some of the finer in the medium. If you’re looking for an RPG that strays off the beaten path, go buy Valkyria Chronicles. From the gameplay to the visuals, it’s one of a kind. It has appeal for both strategy heads and role-players who find high fantasy to be low on their interest scale.”
Story — 8.7
Design — 9.1
Gameplay — 9.0
Presentation — 9.4
Overall — 9.1