Nintendo celebrates the launch of the new Pokemon Diamond and Pokemon Pearl games for the Nintendo DS system with an afternoon of festivities for gamers and Pokemon fans of all ages on April 22, 2007. We at VGB are also celebrating with our “win Pokemon Diamond or Pearl competition“.
Diamond & Pearl have already sold over five million times in Japan, and are expected to be among the top-selling games of the year in the United States (it later turned out they sold 1 million copies in the first 5 days in the USA). More than 5,000 Pokemon fans are expected to attend their launch-day fun-filled event. The Rockefeller Plaza will become a Pokemon fanâ€™s paradise with interactive game play stations showing off the brand new games, Trading Card Game play area, where a movie lounge featuring the newest Pokemon movie, Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea, and a special Kids Zone for younger Pokemon fans.
Attendees can be among the first to pick up their pre-ordered copies of Pokemon Diamond and Pokemon Pearl at the Nintendo World store, participate in a Poke Ball scavenger hunt, take photos with favorite Pokemon costume characters (PIKA PIKA!), and win prizes including exclusive Pokemon Nintendo DS Lite units, Pokemon gear and tickets to summer sporting events.
WHO: Parents, kids, Pokemon fans and video game fans of all ages
WHEN: Sunday, April 22 — Nintendo World Store Opens: 8AM — Event: 1 to 5PM
WHERE: Nintendo World store — 10 Rockefeller Plaza — New York, NY 10020 — 646-459-0800 — www.nintendoworldstore.com
New PokÃ©mon Diamond or PokÃ©mon Pearl FACTS…
Format: Nintendo DS
Launch Date: 04/22/07
ESRB age rating: E (Everyone)
Game Type: Role-Playing Game
Accessories: Nintendo DS Headset
Players: 1-8 (1-4 in PokÃ©mon battles)
Developer: GAME FREAK, Creatures
Key game information:
* Collect, Train and Battle with More Than 100 New PokÃ©mon (107 Pokemon total): For the first time, players have the chance to catch new PokÃ©mon Munchlax, Weavile, Lucario, Mime Jr., Bonsly and many others.
* New Region: Set in an entirely new region called Sinnoh, the Sinnoh PokÃ©dex has 151 PokÃ©mon total – some old and more than 80 new. This means the National PokÃ©dex could now have more than 480 PokÃ©mon (493 Pokemon total). Overall there are over 100 new PokÃ©mon, even some that arenâ€™t in the Sinnoh PokÃ©dex! How do you find them all?
* 3-D World: The game now has a 3-D look to the environments, making the world of PokÃ©mon jump off the screen like never before.
* Worldwide Battles/Trading Using Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection: Once Friend Codes have been registered, two players can then battle and trade while talking.
* Night and Day: Using the DS clock function, the game transitions from morning, day and night in real time.
* Intense Battles: Many new dual-type PokÃ©mon, new and refined moves and new special Abilities add to the already deep strategy of PokÃ©mon battling.
Game storyline: In the Sinnoh region, there are two PokÃ©mon that symbolize the region. They appear in the Sinnoh regionâ€™s myths and old folklore. One is called Dialga, and is said to have the power to control time. The other is called Palkia, who is said to have the ability to distort space. The sinister organization called Team Galactic is trying to rule the region by using the power of these two PokÃ©mon. During the adventure to complete the PokÃ©dex and become the PokÃ©mon League Champion, these two PokÃ©mon, and Team Galactic, will intertwine into the story and lead players on a fantastic journey across the Sinnoh region.
Characters: More than 100 new PokÃ©mon make their debut in PokÃ©mon Diamond and PokÃ©mon Pearl. Many are new, and some are even evolutions and pre-evolutions of characters from past games. The player can choose to be a boy or girl trainer. There are eight new Gym Leaders, as well as a new Professor and a new rival. Team Galactic takes the role of the new villains this time around.
How to progress through the game: Players start out as an aspiring PokÃ©mon Trainer (either a boy or a girl) and aim to become the PokÃ©mon Champion. They choose from one of the three starter PokÃ©mon. As they journey through the Sinnoh region, they will catch and level up PokÃ©mon and battle with other Trainers and Gym Leaders to make their way to the top. The story unfolds as the player goes from town to town, across towering mountains, through muddy swamps and deep into caves beneath the earth.
* Worldwide battles and trading using Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.
* Real-time clock feature changes the time of day based on the DS clock. The PokÃ©mon characters players can catch vary based on the location and time of day. Also, the power of certain PokÃ©mon moves changes based on time.
* More elaborate PokÃ©mon Contests. Players can use accessories and dress up their PokÃ©mon. Players make â€œPoffinsâ€ out of Berries to raise their PokÃ©monâ€™s contest stats.
* New dual-type PokÃ©mon, new/altered moves and new special abilities add to the already deep strategy of PokÃ©mon battling.
* 3-D environments and updated graphics.
* Once the player has completed the Sinnoh PokÃ©dex and become the League Champion, he or she can use the dual-slot feature of the Nintendo DS to import PokÃ©mon from PokÃ©mon Ruby, PokÃ©mon Sapphire, PokÃ©mon FireRed, PokÃ©mon LeafGreen and PokÃ©mon Emerald. Once players enter an area called Pal Park, they can see and capture their PokÃ©mon from previous games, which are then permanently transferred to PokÃ©mon Diamond and PokÃ©mon Pearl. Up to six PokÃ©mon per day can be transferred to Pal Park and then captured in PokÃ©mon Diamond and PokÃ©mon Pearl.
* PokÃ©mon Diamond and PokÃ©mon Pearl are fully Wi-Fi compatible, allowing players to trade and battle worldwide. Also, the games use local wireless to battle and trade with up to four players (eight in the underground game). Also, when using Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, two players can chat using the DS microphone.
* If players own PokÃ©mon Ranger, they can enter a special code (found on www.Manaphy.com) to unlock a mission to receive a special Manaphy Egg from PokÃ©mon Ranger and then hatch it in PokÃ©mon Diamond or PokÃ©mon Pearl.
With Friend Codes: If players are connected through Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, they can trade or battle as they talk to their friends. They have to exchange their â€œFriend Codeâ€ with their friends first.
Without Friend Codes: Global Trade Station (trading without Friend Codes): The Global Trade Station uses Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection and allows players to trade PokÃ©mon with others who have PokÃ©mon Diamond or PokÃ©mon Pearl anywhere in the world. They post PokÃ©mon they want to trade on a board, and they can browse through PokÃ©mon other players have posted without directly interacting with other players.
Battle Tower (battling without Friend Codes): The Battle Tower allows players to battle with seven Trainers who have registered their player data in the Wi-Fi Battle Dome. After players battle, they can then upload their data so that other Trainers can battle â€œthem.â€ The more players win, the higher their rank rises. Players can register where they live on a terrestrial globe called Geonet in the Global Trade Station. If players exchange data with players from other areas, their location will be registered on the Geonet as well.