Some magazine and website editors like Joystiq already got their hands on a retail Wii, which comes with a 69 page “systems and settings” manual. After the “Top 10 Wii facts you may not have known” item we did yesterday, Younewb requested more, and we don’t mind taking requests, so we made a list out of them. It’s a good thing the Wii manual includes so many tidbits, we’ve lined up the best for you here:
1. “Up to 100 Miis can stay in your Mii Plaza.”
2. “The Photo Channel can display a maximum of approximately 1,000 photos. If your SD card has more than 1,000 photos, remove the card from the Wii console and remove or reorganize your photos in your camera, cell phone or computer.”
3. “You can not save or overwrite photos or videos on the SD card.”
4. “Any of the options in Fun! mode (like doodles) can be applied to individual frames of a video.”
5. The photo channel supports JPGs of up to 8192×8192 resolution and QuickTime files of up to 848×480.
6. MP3 audio is listed under supported formats.
7. “Some Virtual Console games can only be played with a Classic Controller. (sold separately)” This seems to contradict previous confirmation that Gamecube controllers would work on all Virtual Console games.
8. “Software downloaded from the Wii Shop Channel is licensed to you, not sold” Like the free Opera browser.
9. “The calendar displays dates from January 2000 to December 2035.”
10. “The Wii console uses a 24 hour clock. For example, 1:00 pm is displayed as 13:00 pm”
11. “The initial recommended distance for using the Wii Remote Pointer is 3 to 8 feet from the sensor bar … Also note that the influence of direct sunlight and various light sources can make the Pointer operation less optimal.”
12. “Adjusting the speaker and Rumble settings will affect all Wii remotes currently connected to the Wii console. Let’s hope everyone likes the same settings.
Some warnings in the manual include:
* “You will not be able to send photos from your Wii console to the PC/cell phone user.”
* The parental control features “does NOT control access to Nintendo GameCube games”
* “If you use the messaging features of the Wii console, you need to understand that Nintendo may monitor your use and share certain information (i) as required by law, (ii) where necessary to protect the company, its customers or its employees, (iii) as necessary to provide the services.” This is required by law, so people don’t start threathening eachother etc.
* By formatting the Wii Shop Channel from the Wii’s system menu, you clear all “records of your transactions and rights to download software.”
* “You should format your Wii Shop Channel data first, then your Wii System Memory, prior to selling or otherwise transferring your Wii console to any third party.”
Watch The Latest Gaming News: