Bioware announced Dragon Age, their latest PC exclusive fantasy RPG, in the new Games for Windows magazine. The game is set for a late 2007 or early 2008 release.
Key features are:
* The story is dark-much darker than the usual BioWare fare-and influenced by “realistic” modern fantasy like George R. R. Martin’s A Game of Thrones.
* The game uses an evolved “tactical real-time combat” style of Baldur’s Gate, only in 3D-you queue up orders for multiple party members, pause the game when you need to think, and your party members will be able to execute coordinated attacks.
* Large-scale creature combat will have your characters doing stuff like ducking between legs and jumping on backs of monsters.
* Even though Dragon Age isn’t a Dungeons & Dragons game, per se, BioWare is sticking close to those roots with the class and rules systems.
* The game uses a “modified” version of the Mass Effect conversation system we’re all so keen on.
* Depending on the type of character you choose, the game offers multiple different “origin stories”-meaning the first few hours of the game will be totally different depending on which character archetype you choose.
Via 1UP. By the way, Bioware’s next platform exclusive game is Mass Effect on Xbox 360 in 2007.