PokeMasters looking for Pokemon Sun and Moon cheats on 3DS? Here we’ll list Pokemon Sun and Moon cheat codes and unlockables with tips for Nintendo’s new RPG game.
Take a look at the cheats below…
Index of Pokemon Sun and Moon Guides:
- This Page: Pokemon Sun and Moon Cheats
- Next Page: Pokemon Sun and Moon QR Codes
- Next Page: Pokemon Sun and Moon Money Cheat
- Next Page: Pokemon Sun and Moon: How To Level Up Fast
Pokemon Sun and Moon Cheats
How To Get QR Codes To Unlock Special Pokemon Like Magearna: A special QR Code is planned for distribution via the free Pokémon TV app — available for download here on Apple iTunes for iOS iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch devices or here on the Google App Store for Android devices or here on the Amazon App Store for Kindle Fire eBooks — from December 6th, 2016 in North America, Europe and other regions where the App is available.Here’s the step-by-step guide on how to get Magearna:
• STEP 1: Download the Pokemon TV App on your mobile device with one of the three links listed in the introduction paragraph above. Then open the App.
• STEP 2: To scan a QR Code in Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon, you’ll need to unlock the QR Scanner feature, which will happen after you complete the main story.
• STEP 3: Once the QR Code appears on-screen after December 6th, 2016 in the Pokemon TV App on your mobile device (presumably on the App’s home screen), it can be scanned in the game. — Alternatively, it’ll also appear somewhere on Pokemon.com between December 5, 2016 & March 5, 2017. But we’ll be sure to add it on this cheats page too.
• STEP 4: Use the new QR Scanner function in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon to scan in this corresponding QR Code, and you’ll be able to obtain the Mythical Pokémon Magearna!
• STEP 5: After scanning the QR Code, you’ll be able to get Magearna on your team by visiting the antique shop in Hau’oli City shopping mall. The NPC character there will give it to you.
By scanning in special QR Code patterns you can register Pokémon of the Alola region to your Pokédex and find out where they live. If you scan in the QR Code for a Pokémon that you haven’t yet caught, you can check its habitat and seek it out to catch it for one hour (you only get one chance to catch it per QR Code). – It is a man-made Steel / Fairy Type Pokemon with the Soul-Heart ability. Magearna will be a special ally that you can put to work on your behalf in the world of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon.
Note: For now, this means for Magearna you’ll have to be patient and wait for 18 days after the November 18th, 2016 Pokemon Sun and Moon worldwide game launch. – But hey, at least you can play the game while scanning other Pokemon’s QR Codes and in the meantime use the Pokémon TV app to keep up with the Pokémon TV show episodes.
Protip: Luckily for all other Pokemon in Sun & Moon you can scroll through this gallery of QR Codes to scan 10 per day maximum! It’s important to note that you’ll only have one chance to catch the Pokemon who’s QR Code you scanned. Good luck catching ’em all! 😀
Click on any of these Pokemon location QR Code thumbnails to see the full-size pictures:
Magearna Info: Magearna is a Mythical Pokémon that was created by a scientist of uncommon genius 500 years ago. Magearna has the power to perceive the emotions, thoughts, and feelings of other Pokémon. If a Pokémon is injured, Magearna will feel the other’s pain and suffering and will try as hard as it can to save that Pokémon.
Magearna’s real body is the spherical construction in its chest called the Soul-Heart, created by a scientist who gathered the life energy from Pokémon.
Magearna has the ability to transform itself into the appearance of a Poké Ball! It does so when it sleeps, and apparently also when it’s sad.
Magearna’s Ability is the Soul-Heart Ability, a new Ability that no previous Pokémon has had. Soul-Heart has the effect of raising Magearna’s Sp. Atk by 1 each time another Pokémon in the area faints. This is a new Ability—one that can be put to good use in battle.
Here’s an official trailer that introduces Magearna, at 38 seconds into the video, with the Artificial Pokemon’s first gameplay.
Keep your eyes peeled on this page, because we will update when more QR Codes* become available for you to unlock more Pokemon & items with in the game! 😀
*What’s fun in Pokemon Sun and Moon is that you can share QR Code Patterns of Pokémon! You can display the QR Code patterns for Pokémon you have caught in your own Pokédex. If you and a friend show each other the QR Code patterns for Pokémon you have caught, you can both register the Pokémon in your Pokédexes! On top of that there are QR Code patterns in various places all around you, so try scanning the 100’s of QR Codes shown above to scan to unlock Island Scan and get started in your search for rare Pokemon.
How To Get A Munchlax Holding Snorlium Z To Unlock Snorlax’s Z-Move: Between November 18th, 2016 and January 11th, 2017; Via the Mystery Gift function, Pokemon Sun and Moon players can get a special Munchlax holding the Snorlium Z. This is an exclusive Z-Move* titled “Pulverizing Pancake” that will be the only way to perform this special move with Snorlax, once you evolve this Munchlax.
Munchlax Info: The Munchlax you’ll get via the Nintendo Network as an early purchase bonus will know the move Hold Back, which it could not normally learn. Hold Back is an attack move that leaves its opponent with just 1 HP. It can reliably weaken an opposing Pokémon, so it comes in handy when you’re trying to catch wild Pokémon.
The Munchlax being gifted will also know the move Happy Hour, another move it normally couldn’t learn. When you use Happy Hour during a Trainer battle, you’ll receive twice as much prize money after the battle. Collect lots of prize money to give yourself an advantage on your adventure!
You CANNOT find a Munchlax with this Z-Crystal’s Z-Move through regular gameplay, making this an exceedingly rare Pokémon.
Here’s the step-by-step guide on how to get this Munchlax:
• STEP 1: Select “Mystery Gift” on the game’s Main Menu.
• STEP 2: Select “Receive Gift”, then choose “Yes”.
• STEP 3: Select “Get Via Internet”, then choose “Yes”.
• STEP 4: Watch as you receive Munchlax, once it’s finished you’ll get an on-screen message saying “The gift has been received!”
• STEP 5: Then speak to the delivery girl in any Pokemon Center to receive Munchlax.
• STEP 6: After the game confirms you’ve “Received Munchlax!” be sure to save your game! And after saving you’re done and you can play with Munchlax.
• STEP 7: After Munchlax evolves into Snorlax, have it hold the “Snorlium Z” Z-Crystal and after 20 long years of sleeping Snorlax will wake up to use its own super fast Z-Move called the “Pulverizing Pancake”! 😮
Important Note about this Pulverizing Snorlax: If you miss your chance to receive this Munchlax as a gift, you will not be able to evolve into the Pulverizing Snorlax. So get Munchlax and the Snorlium Z, and use Snorlax exclusive Z-Move!
Here’s an official trailer that introduces Snorlax’s new special move, at 37 seconds into the video, with the first gameplay.
*Z-Moves are major new Pokémon moves that are used in the Alola region. Trainers send a natural power called Z-Power to their Pokémon to power up their Pokémon moves. Because it requires all the combined power of the Pokémon and its Trainer, a Z-Move can only be used once per battle. However, Z-Moves are considerably more powerful than any previously known Pokémon moves.
Z-Moves are special moves that a Pokémon can use when it’s holding a Z-Crystal that corresponds to its move’s type. Their effects vary greatly depending on whether they’re based on attack moves or status moves. Z-Moves based on attack moves have far greater power than standard moves, but how powerful they will be seems to depend on the power of the original move that a Z-Move is based on. Since Z-Moves are full-powered attacks, they also seem to be impossible to fully ward off with moves like Protect and Detect—they still do some damage. When you use your Z-Power based on a status move, it will be powered up with additional effects. These effects come in many varieties, including raising your own Pokémon’s stats, healing the next Pokémon to switch in and more!
To be specific about this Snorlax: There are Z-Moves that can power up each type, and these Z-Moves can be used by any Pokémon. However, some Pokémon can use exceptional Z-Moves that are not available to all Pokémon. The Snorlium Z gifted along with this bonus Munchlax is itself a special item — one that allows Snorlax to use a Z-Move that no other Pokémon can!
How To Get Ash’s Greninja: Beginning October 18th, 2016, the Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon Special Demo Version will be available in Nintendo eShop for free. This is your chance to meet the Pokémon that can be found in November 18’s Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon! You’ll battle with a special Ash-Greninja and can transfer it to the full game. Ash-Greninja, the Pokémon that appears with the hero Ash in the animated TV series Pokémon the Series: XYZ, appears in this game as a member of your team — you can adventure together! Players can transfer their Grey Greninja from the demo version to their full game version of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon when it launches.
Ash-Greninja Info: This Greninja’s appearance is changed by the bond phenomenon to look like Ash. In addition, Ash-Greninja has powered up thanks to the strength of its bonds with Ash. This is the form Greninja takes when it has gained new power due to the miraculous occurrence known as the bond phenomenon. This can be brought on by the bonds between people and Pokémon. It seems that it has only been known to have occurred once—several hundred years ago.
Ash-Greninja’s leg strength has been enhanced compared to an ordinary Greninja, making it difficult to see because of the speed at which it can move. It takes its enemies out in a flash! It becomes able to make giant Water Shurikens on its back, and it can throw them in rapid succession.
Greninja that can become Ash-Greninja have an Ability that no Pokémon has ever had before—Battle Bond. The Battle Bond Ability triggers this Pokémon’s form change to Ash-Greninja after it causes an opponent’s Pokémon to faint. When the battle ends, the Pokémon returns to its original Greninja form. This form is only for battles where it needs to break the limits!
Here’s the step-by-step guide on how to get Ash-Greninja:
• STEP 1: You can bring this Greninja, which is able to turn into Ash-Greninja, to your full version of Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon (after launch) once you’ve completed your adventure together in the Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon Special Demo Version. At the end of the demo you’ll have a Poke Ball containing Ash’s Greninja.
• STEP 2: Then once you have the full game on your system (fully downloaded from the Nintendo eShop or inserted as a cartridge), you have to start the demo version and talk to Professor Kukui in the Pokemon Center, he’ll then give you the option to transfer this Greninja to the full game. Select “Send to full version”, at which point you’ll have to scroll to a warning message that you’ll be sending this Greninja from the demo to the full version.
• STEP 3: Once the warning is over the Professor will ask “What are you sending to the full version?” Select “Greninja”, then choose “Yes”.
• STEP 4: It’ll be sent to the full game as a present. Once that’s done the Professor will ask if you need “Anything else?” from him, answer “Quit”. Then quit the demo.
• STEP 5: Now start the full game and speak to the delivery guy with the yellow shirt with blue stripes in any Pokemon Center to receive Greninja as a Mystery Gift. When he asks “It looks like I have a Pokemon to give you. Would you like to take it off my hands?” select “Yes”.
• STEP 6: After the game confirms you’ve “Received Greninja!” be sure to save your game! And after saving you’re done and you can play with Ash’s Greninja.
Important Note about Ash-Greninja: Ash’s Greninja will not listen to what you tell it until you have completed two grand trials in the full version of Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon.
Here’s a video guide showing how to transfer Ash Greninja from the Demo Version to Pokemon Sun and Moon.
Stardust Tip: Similar to the Ash-Greninja transfer, you can also transfer items like the Stardust you collected in the demo to the full game as a Mystery Gift!
Take a closer look at the giant Alola region map here: (Click on it for a full-size map!)
Alola Region Info: The Alola region is made up of four islands, along with one artificial island. Each of the four islands has a Pokémon called a guardian deity. These Pokémon are collectively called the tapu, and they are worshiped by the people. The kahunas who serve as leaders of each island are chosen by these island guardians.
Alola is surrounded by the sea. It has a diverse ecology made up of Pokémon that have lived as natives of the Alola region for generations, along with Pokémon that have more recently arrived in Alola from other regions.
In Alola, humans and Pokémon coexist in a very close relationship, and a culture has developed that is different from other regions.
Physical Map Bonus: If you buy either GameStop’s “Pokémon Sun & Moon with Pokémon Sun & Moon Official Strategy Guide” bundle or the “Pokémon Sun & Moon with Pokémon Sun & Moon Collector’s Edition Official Strategy Guide” bundle, you’ll receive an exclusive Pullout Map that shows the complete Alola region (same as shown in the image above).
Find Out How To Hatch Poke Eggs Fast: Although you can, there’s no manual Egg hatching route needed, instead you can simply use Poke Pelago Island, which allows you to hatch 18 Eggs while doing something else. You don’t need a long stretch of road, instead you can now work on hatching 18 Eggs at once without even touching the Nintendo 3DS system or jamming a coin under your D-Pad. Doing it this way is far more convenient than having to mindlessly run back and forth while only having 5 Eggs on you at a time. There’s a Poke Pelago Island for hatching Eggs, up to 18 Eggs at a time once you fully upgrade it!
Early-Game Manual Egg Hatching Route: Go to Paniola Town in the middle of Akala Island. There’s just enough space in front of the Pokemon Nursery — in between the bails of hay in the wooden fence — to run in circles on a Tauros over and over again while Spinning & Dashing (which counts as steps) for a few seconds until the Egg hatches.
When the Pokemon Nursery lady standing outside the Nursery has her arms crossed you’ll know an Egg is ready to hatch! Talk to her and she’ll ask “…but you want the Egg your Pokemon was holding, right?”. Then select “Yes” to receive the Egg and starting riding the Tauros, then talk to the lady again once the Egg hatches to get a new Egg.
Here’s a video guide showing how to manually hatch eggs faster in Pokemon Sun and Moon.
DLC Unlockable Poke Balls: The “Pokemon Sun and Moon Dual Pack” bundle that’s available at most large retailers, includes two in-game DLC item codes that give you 200 Poke Balls at the start of your adventure!
Upon release you’ll receive these unique serial codes, at which point you can then enter the code in your game to receive this set of Poke Balls.
DLC Unlockable Quick Balls: If you pre-ordered Pokemon Sun and/or Moon, be sure to check your physical receipt or digital receipt (available after purchase in the eShop menu) to find a download code for 12 Quick Balls!
Quick Balls are somewhat different Poke Ball that has a more successful catch rate if used at the start of a wild encounter.
Here’s the step-by-step guide on how to enter serial codes / passwords into Pokemon Sun and Moon:
• STEP 1: Enter the code in your game to receive the above mentioned Poke- and Quick Balls or other items. You can do this at game startup after you “Press Start” and select “Mystery Gift” from the main menu, by going to “Receive Gift” and selecting “Get with Code / Password”. Finally, when asked “Would you like to receive a gift with a code or a password?” select “Yes”, which allows you to enter the code — For example: J6Z2REGJH2XKQ76G (may be a one-use code) — on the screen that reads “Please input your code or password.”
• STEP 2: After the code has been entered, the items will be available in the game world at any Pokemon Center from the deliveryman with the yellow shirt that has blue stripes, talk to him to receive the items as a Mystery Gift. When he asks “It looks like I have an item to give you. Would you like to take it off my hands?” select “Yes”. – At which point the items will be deposited into your Bag for use at any time.
Here’s a video guide showing how to transfer the Quick Balls Mystery Gift into Pokemon Sun and Moon.
We’ll update if these end up being Pokeball cheat codes everyone can use in Pokemon Sun & Moon.
Using the official Pokemon Bank service with all your Pokemon games means you’ll have 100 Boxes that can hold 30 Pokémon each, allowing you to store a total of 3,000 Pokémon online! Pokémon Bank is a paid service, with an annual charge for usage.
Pokemon Bank Sun & Moon Compatibility Incoming: In January 2017, the Nintendo 3DS downloadable software Pokémon Bank is expected to receive an update for compatibility with Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon. Pokémon Bank is an application that enables you to put Pokémon you’ve collected in your games into Internet-based storage boxes. Until now this service has been available for Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, and Pokémon Y. Starting in early 2017, it will support Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon as well.
With this update, the Pokémon that adventured with you in Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, and Pokémon Y will be able to join you in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon!
Pokemon Bank Disclaimers: If you transfer a Pokémon to Pokémon Bank and then on to Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon from Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, or Pokémon Y, you’ll be unable to transfer it back to Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, or Pokémon Y.
And you cannot deposit Pokémon holding items into Pokémon Bank. If you try to deposit a Pokémon with a held item, that item will be sent back to the original game.
Poké Transporter is also being updated for compatibility with the Virtual Console versions of Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue, and Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition. Deposit the Pokémon you’ve collected into Pokémon Bank, and you can send them to Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon as well (but ONLY to these two titles).
Poke Transporter Disclaimers: Pokémon moved to Pokémon Bank using Poké Transporter can’t be returned to the Virtual Console versions of Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue, Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition, or to Pokémon Black 2, Pokémon White 2, Pokémon Black Version, or Pokémon White Version.
And you can’t deposit Pokémon holding items into Pokémon Bank. If you try to deposit a Pokémon with a held item, that item will be sent back to the original game.
Tip: Since Pokemon Sun and Moon don’t have any BP move tutors like Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire have. So if there are any such moves you want your Pokemon to learn, such as Stealth Rock & Elemental Punch, then be sure to teach them first and then transfer these Pokemon to the new game.
Here’s a Pokémon Bank and Poké Transfer introduction by the creators of the games:
Work-In-Progress: That’s all the Pokemon Sun and Moon cheats on 3DS for now. We’ll keep updating this cheats page when more are discovered. In the meantime, we made the handy Pokemon Sun and Moon guides listed above to help you with tips and tricks for the game!
Do you know of any Pokemon Sun and Moon cheats or unlockables?
Let us know in the comments, you’ll get credit for finding out. – Thanks for visiting!