What were the Top 10 best selling games in June 2014 in the United States?
The newest NPD numbers are in, and so are the top lists of the highest selling game systems and games for last month in America.
Here is the full Top 10 of June 2014:
1. Watch Dogs (PS4, 360, Xbox One, PS3, PC) — 8 Million copies shipped worldwide!
2. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) — 2 Million copies sold worldwide!
3. Minecraft (360, PS3) — 54 Million copies sold worldwide (retail & digital)!
4. UFC (PS4, Xbox One)
5. FIFA 14 (PS4, 360, Xbox One, PS3, Vita)
6. NBA 2K14 (360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, PC)**
7. Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
8. Call of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U, PC)
9. Tomodachi Life (3DS) — 175,000 Sales in America (retail & digital)
10. Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3)
** Includes: CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware. Physical retail copies only.
A new multiplatform blockbuster franchise has been created with the release of the first Watch Dogs game. The release was the biggest week-one sales success (thanks to millions of pre-orders) that Ubisoft ever had with over 4 million copies sold. Add in 4 million more copies shipped in the month since and they are getting close to 8 million sales in 6 weeks!
Here’s the TV commercial…
System Sales in June 2014:
1. PlayStation 4 (#1 for the 6th month in a row)
2. Nintendo 3DS — 150,000 Sold (down from 225,000 sold June 2013)
3. Nintendo Wii U — 140,000 Sold (sales up 233% over June 2013)
4. Xbox One
5. Xbox 360
6. PlayStation 3
7. PlayStation Vita
Note: Only the first three spots are confirmed. The rest are estimates, no complete hard sales data was released for the month.
Check out the PS4 launch trailer…
Analysis of the game and hardware sales numbers:
Although NPD doesn’t by far track all digital sales, retail still gives a good impression of last month’s best selling video games.
To quote NPD industry analyst Liam Callahan…
About video games he said:
“Sales of launch titles in June 2014 did not compare favorably to those launched in June 2013, which included the PS3 exclusive The Last of Us, along with Nintendo’s Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and a retail version of Minecraft for the Xbox 360.
In terms of software titles, many of the top games in June 2014 mirrored those of May 2014, with six of the same games ranking in the top ten. Three of these top ten games were also new launches from May 2014 — Watch Dogs, Mario Kart 8, and Wolfenstein: The New Order — indicating the weakness of new launches in June.”
Note: June NPD video game software sales fell -3% compared to the same period last year, but Q2 (the period from April to June) overall grew 9%.
About hardware he said:
“The 106% increase in hardware sales versus June 2013 was lifted entirely by console hardware sales, which were up by over 200%. The strong sales performance of console hardware helped to offset the declines seen in portable hardware.
Combined sales of Xbox One and PS4 are over 80% higher than the combined totals for Xbox 360 and PS3 – an indication of the strength of the start of this new console generation.”