Our Grand Theft Auto 5 walkthrough will guide you through the beginning to ending moments of gameplay with strategy tips for this open world action-adventure game on the PS3 & Xbox 360.
Note before playing: Developed by series creators Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto V for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 is the biggest GTA game yet with a story spanning 100+ hours in a massive and detailed world. As such, it requires a mandatory install that is roughly 8GB and starts when you insert the game disc for the first time, you will be able to play as soon as the install is complete.
Let’s start the Grand Theft Auto 5 walkthrough with a voiced introduction video!
Please note that viewers must be at least 18 to watch, so no harm comes to those with innocent eyes. This game includes Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content, Use of Drugs and Alcohol.
Table of Contents
- Mission 1: Prologue
- Mission 2: Franklin and Lamar
- Mission 3: Repossession
- Mission 4: Complications
- Mission 5: Father / Son
- Mission 6: Pulling Favors
- Mission 7: Chop
- Mission 8: Marriage Counseling
- Mission 9: Friend Request
- Mission 10: Daddy’s Little Girl
- Mission 11: The Long Stretch
- Mission 12: Paparazzo
- Mission 13: The Good Husband
- Mission 14: Casing The Jewel Store
- Mission 15: Strip Club
- Mission 16: Bugstars Equipment
- Mission 17: The Jewel Store Job
- Mission 18: Mr. Philips
- Mission 19: Trevor Philips Industries
- Mission 20: Rampage One
- Mission 21: McKenzie Field Airplane Hangar
- Mission 22: Crystal Maze
- Mission 23: Friends Reunited
- Mission 24: Fame or Shame
- Mission 25: Dead Man Walking
- Mission 26: Did Somebody Say Yoga?
- 3 Endings Guide
Index of Grand Theft Auto 5 Guides:
- This Page: Grand Theft Auto 5 Walkthrough
- Next Page: Grand Theft Auto 5 Cheats
- Next Page: Grand Theft Auto 5 Weapons Guide
- Next Page: Grand Theft Auto 5 Vehicles Guide
- Next Page: Grand Theft Auto 5 Achievements Guide
- Next Page: Grand Theft Auto 5 Trophies Guide
- Next Page: Grand Theft Auto 5 Spaceship Parts Locations Guide
- Next Page: Grand Theft Auto 5 Letter Scraps Locations Guide
- Next Page: Grand Theft Auto 5 Stunt Jumps Locations Guide
- Next Page: Grand Theft Auto 5 Nuclear Waste Locations Guide
- Next Page: Grand Theft Auto 5 Hidden Packages Locations Guide
- Next Page: Grand Theft Auto 5 Submarine Parts Locations Guide
- Next Page: Grand Theft Auto 5 Under the Bridge Locations Guide
- Next Page: Grand Theft Auto 5 Knife Flights Locations Guide
- Next Page: Grand Theft Auto 5 Collectibles
- Next Page: Grand Theft Auto 5 Easter Eggs
- Next Page: Grand Theft Auto 5 Money Cheats
- Next Page: Grand Theft Auto 5 Glitches
- Next Page: Grand Theft Auto 5 Map
- Next Page: Grand Theft Auto 5 Endings Guide
- For Fun: Grand Theft Auto 5 Soundtrack
- For Fun: Grand Theft Auto 5 Wallpaper
Grand Theft Auto 5 Walkthrough
Los Santos is a sprawling sun-soaked metropolis full of self-help gurus, starlets, and fading celebrities, once the envy of the Western world, now struggling to stay afloat in an era of economic uncertainty and cheap reality TV.
Amidst the turmoil, three very different criminals plot their own chances of survival and success: Franklin, a former street gangster, now looking for real opportunities and serious money; Michael, a professional ex-con whose retirement is a lot less rosy than he hoped it would be; and Trevor, a violent maniac driven by the next big score. Running out of options, the crew risks everything in a series of daring and dangerous heists that could set them up for life.
The biggest, most dynamic and most diverse open world ever created with a US$270 million budget, making it the most expensive game in history! GTA 5 takes full advantage of every ounce of processing power available in the current generation of consoles. Grand Theft Auto V blends storytelling and gameplay in new ways as players repeatedly jump in and out of the lives of the game’s three lead characters, playing all sides of the game’s interwoven story.
All the classic hallmarks of the groundbreaking series return, including incredible attention to detail and Grand Theft Auto’s darkly humorous take on modern culture, alongside a brand new and ambitious approach to open world multiplayer.
Key Game Features:
- Los Santos and Blaine County — The largest open world yet in a Grand Theft Auto title, spanning vastly diverse cultural and geographical areas – the entire world of Grand Theft Auto V is open from the very beginning of the game to explore. Visitors to the greater metropolis of Los Santos and the countryside of Blaine County will encounter faded celebrities, party people, hikers, bikers, and every other manner of colorful denizen. You’ll be able to traverse everywhere from the tops of the mountains, through the streets of Los Santos and to the depths of the ocean floor.
- Michael, Franklin and Trevor — Three playable protagonists – Michael, Franklin, and Trevor may live in different parts of town, have their own issues, attitudes, lifestyles, desires and goals – but they do know how to work together. They also each have their own unique skillsets to bring to the table when it’s time to get the job done.
- Heists — Petty crimes, hustling, and stealing cars can only get you so far in Los Santos. To score big, Michael, Franklin and Trevor will work together to pull off grand Heists – big, multi-part missions that require careful preparation, recruiting, and precise (and often explosive) execution. Cash is king in GTAV and while there will be plenty of ways to acquire and spend it – heists are the way to earn the big bucks.
- ‘Recreational’ Activity — The open world of Grand Theft Auto V is not just massive in scale, but will offer more to get into than ever before. For recreation, play a bit of golf or tennis, zen out with some yoga or cycle through the countryside. For adrenaline heads, parachute over the city, or customize your Cheetah and take it to the streets to race suckers for money. Or earn cash the old fashioned way, by taking it – whether by ripping off liquor stores or by buying and taking over businesses that will earn you dividends. Even minding your own business having a stroll you may meet one of Los Santos’ weirdos or starlets and find yourself off on a wild misadventure you never expected.
• Why is there a mandatory 8GB install and how does it work?
In order to provide the best possible experience for such a massive and detailed world, the game will have installation requirements on both consoles.
For Xbox 360 Grand Theft Auto V will ship on two discs; Disc 1 / Install Disc will be used for a one-time mandatory install and Disc 2 / Play Disc will be used to play the game (do NOT install this 2nd disc because that will slow the game down). After the 1st disc install, players will be able to enjoy both Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online without any need to switch discs.
For both PS3 & Xbox 360 this initial install will require a Hard Drive. Or on Xbox 360 an external 16GB USB flash drive (sold separately) with at least 8 GB of free space; If using a USB flash drive it must be at least USB 2.0 with a minimum 15MB/second read speed and formatted for Xbox 360 use. A new USB flash drive is recommended to ensure optimum performance.
• How big is the GTA V map?
The GTA V map is bigger than the maps from GTA San Andreas, GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption put together. – Rockstar added that the land mass is 3.5 times bigger than that of Red Dead Redemption, including forests, deserts, a military base, Los Santos and Blaine County, all complete with an Eco system. And the underwater portions are 1.5 times bigger than Red Dead Redemption, Underwater Exploration involves huge ship wrecks, sunken oil rigs, caves, reefs, and more.
• Do you need to do missions to unlock the scuba gear?
No, there are several boats that you can get the scuba diving equipment from.
• How do you evade the cops?
If you break the line of sight, then they start looking for you. After a while they give up if you hide in alleys or in the dark to stay out of their sight.
• What are the options for calling in support during missions?
– Biker gangs will support you during missions if you’ve become friendly with them.
– Security firms that have taken a liking to you can be used to deliver airstrikes!
– A tech-savvy character you’ve befriended can hide you on the radar during multiplayer missions.
• Are there thunderstorms?
Yes, there are some pretty crazy storms, which will make the flying a lot more fun.
• Is there snow in the game?
Yes, the snow cycles with the other weather variants.
• What kind of animals are in the game?
Animals include various breeds of dogs like Franklin’s rottweiler Chop, mountain lions, deer, various types of fish, sharks (they will kill you with ease), coyotes, and more yet to be found.
• Can you drink and drive?
Yes. Although the intoxication wears off fairly quick.
• Where can you modify your car?
Pay ‘N Spray has been replaced by Los Santos Customs, a Modification Shop. You’ll need to go there since some missions require a modified car as part of the mission.
Modifications and services found at Los Santos Customs include these options:
– Visuals: Body kits Bull bars, Exhaust tips, Grille, Lights (extra lights), Paint job, Spoilers, Wheels, Window tint.
– Performance: Brakes, Engine, Intercooler, Nitro, Suspension, Tires, Turbocharger, Other upgrades that affect handling.
– Misc: Armor, Horns, License plates, Roll cages, Runflat tires, Tire smoke color, and a General repair.
• How do you get a parachute?
You can buy one, or there is one at the top of Mt. Chilead by the cable cars. You do not automatically have one once you exit an airborne vehicle.
• When you die, do you lose all of your weapons?
No, if you die you only lose your ammo.
• What things can you customize?
Nearly everything that can move from cars, boats, planes, helicopters to the characters. More details in the tips accompanying the first missions of the game here-under.
• When you get a 6-Star wanted level, does the army come after you?
No, not at present.
• Can you transport Jet Ski’s?
Yes, you can load Jet Ski’s onto trailers for easy transport.
• Can you drive trains?
Yes, but it looks like you’ll have to wait for it to stop before you can take control [unconfirmed].
• With the three protagonists in play, will there be a co-op campaign?
No, the campaign is a single-player experience. You can simply switch between the three main characters at will, unless both others are lying low after having done a criminal activity as a crew.
• When is the PC or Next-Gen release of GTA V?
There has been no announcement or any kind of proof for PS4, Xbox One or Wii U versions of the game.
As for a PC release, that is also unconfirmed, but based on prior GTA PC release schedules it’s a possibility it will arrive sometime in 2014.
• Will any GTA: San Andreas/EFLC/IV characters return?
No, this seems to be a different Universe. Outside of a select few like celebrities such as Lazlow, it seems no one will be returning.
However, you will be able to play GTA Online with character skins that you get as DLC with the Collector’s Edition, namely: Niko Bellic from GTA IV and Claude & Misty from GTA III.
• Will there be playable female characters in the game?
Yes, female characters can be used in GTA Online.
• Is GTA Online mode offline?
Yes, the GTA Online mode will not be available until October 1, 2013. For the first two weeks after launch, developer Rockstar Games will still be busy adding the 500+ (co-op) missions. GTA Online will take place after the events of the story campaign.
• Can you play solo in GTA Online mode?
Yes, Passive Mode can be activated if you want to enjoy free roaming in GTA Online without being troubled by other players (like getting spawn killed), however this is automatically deactivated when you fire your gun.
Welcome to the Grand Theft Auto 5 walkthrough! Here you will be shown around the game’s areas, so you can get closer to completing the game’s many missions.
The Prologue starts nine years ago in Ludendorff, North Yankton, during a bank robbery.
Tip: To switch to the most relevant character during high-action scenes, tap down on the Directional-Pad to Quick Switch.
While in control of said character, the Radar shows your position within the world, and GPS indicates the shortest legal route to a destination with a yellow line on the bottom-left Radar mini-map. — Press down on the Directional-Pad to zoom out on the Radar.
Improving The Mission Challenges Score: Upon completing a mission you will be awarded a score based on mission challenges. Missions can be replayed, to obtain better scores, from the Game section of the Pause Menu while off mission.
Mission results cannot be uploaded to Rockstar Social club or saved if a retry is used.
Replaying old missions will not affect story progress.
This first mission is your welcome to Los Santos by Franklin. A car dealer named Simeon Yetarian wants you to steal cars for him.
The Driving Basics:
– Press the Y button on Xbox 360 / Triangle button on PS3 to get in a vehicle.
– Hold RT on Xbox 360 / R2 on PS3 to accelerate your escape car.
– Hold LT on Xbox 360 / L2 on PS3 to brake or reverse if the vehicle is stopped.
– Use the left analog stick to control a vehicle when it jumps up into the air. — Increasing your driving stat will give you more control of a vehicle in the air, or lets you pull longer wheelies on bikes. Perform jumps in vehicles and achieve perfect landings to increase the stat.
– Press right on the Directional-Pad to toggle headlight mode on and off.
– You can adjust the camera view of the vehicle you’re controlling by pressing the Back button on Xbox 360 / Select button on PS3. You can also adjust the vehicle camera height in the Settings menu.
– The Radar mini-map flashes red and blue when the Cops can see you. — When out of sight of the Cops, the Wanted Stars will flash and cones will appear on the Radar to show the area they are searching. — To lose a Wanted Level, stay out of the cones until the Cops call off the search. Hide in alleys or in the dark to stay out of their sight.
– You can save vehicles by parking them in your Garage. — Vehicles you own and abandon on the streets no longer disappear, instead they are sent to an impound lot and you can pay to retrieve them. They can also be insured and you can get a replacement for a premium if you damage them a lot. Handy!
– Last but far from least, to change radio stations while driving, hold left on the Directional-Pad to bring up the radio wheel. Then use the right analog stick to pick a station.
Franklin’s Special Ability Info: The yellow bar below the Radar mini-map shows Frankin’s special ability level. Press down on the left & right analog sticks together, to activate Frankin’s ability.
The special ability bar can be filled by driving against traffic, narrowly avoiding collisions and achieving high speeds.
Improve Frankin’s special ability by filling up the special ability bar often.
Save Game Tip: Save progress at any time off-mission, by using the Quick Save button on the phone.
Health Tip: Your character’s health can be restored by walking over health packs, or by eating food from vending machines and shops.
Each playable character has a green health bar, which over time will regenerate to 50%, that is if you remain undamaged for a short while.
How To Change Your Looks:
– After completing Mission 1: Franklin and Lamar, barber shops become available at scissor icon locations on the Radar mini-map, you can visit a barber to get a new haircut.
– Additionally, holding the Back button on Xbox 360 / Select button on PS3 pulls up a menu where outfits and gestures can be changed at will.
– And clothes can be changed at your wardrobe in your house’s bedroom.
Evasive Action: Press the X button on Xbox 360 / Square button on PS3 while running towards the hood of a car to slide across it.
Basic Shooting Hint:
– While locked on you can flick between targets with the right analog stick.
– Hold RT on Xbox 360 / R2 on PS3 when in cover to blind fire a weapon without coming out of cover.
– Use the right analog stick to select a weapon and release LB on Xbox 360 / L1 on PS3 to equip it.
– Aiming options include Hard Lock, Soft Lock, and Manual Aim.
– In a vehicle, hold LB on Xbox 360 / L1 on PS3 to fire a weapon while driving and you can aim the weapon with the right analog stick.
Skills Tip: Hold down on the Directional-Pad to view the current player character’s skill set.
Increasing the strength stat will allow more damage to be inflicted when performing a melee attack during fist/knife fights, ladders to be climbed faster, more damage to be taken, and gives better sports performance.
Note: You can download the iFruit app onto your personal smartphone or tablet to enhance your game playing experience. Download to teach Chop the dog tricks (it’s like Tamagotchi) and modify your car (for example to get your personal license plate).
Free Extras Tip: Sign up to Rockstar Games Social Club for free to receive exclusive in-game rewards and access to in-game leaderboards. You’ll also qualify for exclusive discounts on select in-game purchases, such as item and vehicles, through Lifeinvader.com.
Simply create your profile and link your game, to get access to these free items:
– The weapon is a Assault Sub Machine Gun weapon, that can be picked up from your local Ammu-nation.
– The vehicle is a Annis Elegy RH8 sports car, available for use in both GTA V and GTA Online.
– The character customization are unique haircuts for Franklin (tight afro and goatee combo), Michael (full beard and shaved head), and Trevor (handlebar and tuft patch).
Grand Theft Auto 5 Walkthrough continues on Page 2 with Mission 6: Pulling Favors.
Tags: Grand Theft Auto 5