What were the Top 10 best selling games in June 2013 in the United States? I guess you could say The Last Of Us was the last one standing after a zombie outbreak! 😉
The newest NPD numbers are in, and so are the top lists of the highest selling game systems and games for June in America.
Here is the full Top 10:
1. The Last Of Us (PS3)** Sony (Corp) — Global Sales: 3.4 Million
2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS) Nintendo — Sales: 505,000
3. Minecraft (360) Microsoft (Corp)
4. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (360, PS3, PC, NWU)** Activision Blizzard (Corp)
5. NBA 2K13 (360, PS3, WII, NWU, PSP, PC)** Take 2 Interactive (Corp)
6. Injustice: Gods Among Us (360, PS3, NWU)** Warner Bros. Interactive
7. Donkey Kong Country Returns (3DS, WII) Nintendo
8. Deadpool (360, PS3) Activision Blizzard (Corp)
9. Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)** Electronic Arts
10. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS) Nintendo — Sales: 115,000
11. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS) Nintendo — Sales: 108,000
** Includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware. Physical retail copies only.
The PlayStation 3-exclusive The Last Of Us release was a major success for the Uncharted series creators! Here’s the TV commercial filmed with live-action stars.
System Sales in June 2013:
1. Nintendo 3DS — Sold 225,000 Units. (+45.2%)
2. Xbox 360 — Sold 140,000 Units. (-45.5%)
3. PlayStation 3
4. Nintendo Wii U
The Nintendo 3DS handheld is getting a fresh injection of lots of new games all year. Last month’s Animal Crossing: New Leaf did especially well. Here’s the TV ad.
Analysis of the game and hardware sales numbers:
Although NPD doesn’t by far track all digital sales, retail still gives a good impression of last month’s bestselling video games.
To quote NPD industry analyst Liam Callahan…
About hot hardware & new games he said: “To quote Nintendo during E3, ‘software sells hardware’, which is evident in this month’s 3DS results. Strong double-digit increases in the 3DS hardware sales were coupled with triple-digit digit increases in software for June sales. 3DS software sales momentum is building due to a steady flow of content over the past few months, leading to positive year-to-date sales results. Animal Crossing: New Leaf also sold well in the context of first-party games for the 3DS, having the third highest first-month sales next to two launches from holiday 2011: Mario Kart 7, and Super Mario 3D Land.
One new piece of hardware NPD started tracking this past month was Ouya. It’s been a slow uptake, however. “June 2012 was the first month of retail sales for Ouya (not counting direct sales through ouya.tv) and were relatively light for a new console. This may be due to the lack of a major marquee title driving consumers to seek out the console, low awareness due to Ouya being a new brand, or low inventory volume due to manufacturing constraints.
The Last of Us was the top selling game at retail in the month of June. To put this in context, it had the second highest first-month sales of a PS3 first-party game, after God of War 3 in March 2010. The Last of Us was also the third highest game to launch during the month of June since NPD began tracking sales in 1995.”
[SKU = Stock Keeping Unit. In other words: each game sold.]