Black Color Wii U, Wii U GamePad, Wii U Pro Controller, Miiverse. Pre-E3 2012 Nintendo Direct Roundup
A Pre-E3 2012 Nintendo Direct broadcast hosted by Nintendo president Satoru Iwata today, has revealed brand new information about Nintendo’s Wii U console. This is ahead of Nintendo’s E3 2012 keynote conference on Tuesday, June 5th that starts at 9:00AM PDT / 00:00PM EDT / 5:00PM GMT.
Get ready for some Wii U peripherals and online service talk…
Here’s the Pre-E3 2012 Nintendo Direct broadcast video:
Nintendo Direct Pre-E3 2012 Roundup:
- Wii U controller is now officially named the “Wii U GamePad“. Is a Social Window links player to player, living room to living room.
- The Wii U and its peripherals were shown in an all-black color, instead of just the white color shown the past year. Hopefully (unlike with the Wii) the two colors will be available once the Wii U gets released.
- The Wii U GamePad has a NFC Reader / Writer on its left side to place cards or items on to add items to the game you’re playing.
- TV button at the middle-bottom of the Wii U GamePad can control your TV as a remote without even turning on Wii U.
- Asymetric diversity means the Wii U GamePad touch-screen displays different actions than the big TV screen does, and can work together.
- Gyro controls will make gameplay easier for casual gamers as they move the controller naturally.
- Wii U Pro Controller is lighter and more attractive alternative for the Wii U GamePad for more intense gaming sessions. It looks like a black Xbox 360 controller. And remember that Wii U is backwards compatible with all Wii controllers (from the Wiimote, Nunchuck to Wii Balance Board).
- Miiverse (short for: Mii Universe) are crowds of your and other local & online friends Mii’s and users’ Mii’s from your country that are shown at the Wii U’s startup. Like the 3DS’ Mii Plaza. On Wii U it shows what other people are currently playing and recommends new games for you. This video game network is different because:
- It allows text messaging & drawn messages between Miis,
- You can post Wii U in-game gameplay screenshots,
- You can post by you created in-game content for others to download,
- A browser-based setup will be available after launch via PC & any web-enabled Mobile device.
- New Super Mario Bros. Mii was shown as a game that uses the Miiverse to exchange words with fellow players, no matter when or where they are playing.
- Nintendo Network is compatible with Wii U, 3DS, and other future Nintendo systems.
- Browsing interview on the Wii U GamePad can be hidden with a closed curtain on the TV until you are ready to show on TV to others in the room.
- “A great idea solves multiple problems at the same time”. -Shigeru Miyamoto
- Nintendo president Satoru Iwata says Wii U is best described with the tagline “Together, Better”. Even with no one else in the room, you won’t be alone, as you’re always connected with fellow Wii U owners.
If you want to hear more thoughts from Mr. Iwata, via Twitter hashtag #IwataSays he will give his show impressions during E3 2012 all of the next week.