What were the Top 10 best selling games in March 2012 in the United States?
The newest NPD numbers are in, and so are the top lists of the highest selling game systems and games for March in America.
Here is the full Top 10:
1. Mass Effect 3 (360, PS3, PC)** Electronic Arts — 1.18 million sales on consoles.
2. Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (360, PS3)** Capcom USA — 582,000 sales.
3. MLB 12: The Show (PS3, PSV) Sony Corp
4. NBA 2K12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PC, PS2) Take 2 Interactive
5. SSX 2012 (360, PS3) Electronic Arts
6. Street Fighter X Tekken (360, PS3)** Capcom USA
7. Mario Party 9 (Wii) Nintendo — 230,000 sales.
8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)** Activision Blizzard
9. Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja (360, PS3) Namco Bandai Games
10. Major League Baseball 2K12 (360, PS3, Wii, NDS, PSP, PC, PS2) Take 2 Interactive
** Includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware. Physical retail copies only.
Mass Effect 3 ended up selling twice as many copies at launch as Mass Effect 2… all aboard the Hype Train!
System Sales in March 2012:
1. Xbox 360 – Sold over 371,000 Units.
2. PlayStation 3 – Sold over 337,000 Units.
3. 3DS – Sold over 225,000 Units.
4. Wii – Sold over 175,000 Units.
More and more gamers are getting connected through Xbox Live.
NPD’s Overall Analysis:
NPD industry analyst Anita Frazier had the following to say:
“While it was a disappointing month, and first quarter, for new physical retail sales of video games hardware, software and accessories, it wasn’t entirely unexpected given guidance we’ve seen from several sources.”
“Outside of new physical retail sales, we find that the consumer spend on content on used games, rentals, subscriptions, mobile games, social network games, digital full game downloads and add-on content accounted for an additional $2.5 billion to $2.7 billion across the U.S., U.K., France & Germany in Q1 2012.”
“High definition platform unit sales of software were flat to last year which is a bright spot in this month’s reporting. “
“Mass Effect 3 sold more than twice as much as did Mass Effect 2 during its introductory month in January 2010.”
“In a list of the top 10 SKU’s for the month (as opposed to top titles as listed here), 3DS Kids Icarus: Uprising would have been among the top selling individual SKU’s for the month of March.”
“Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure was the 15th best-selling title for the month. The accessory items are selling phenomenally well. The three character pack SKU’s were all among the top 10 accessory items for the month of March.”
PR shared some interesting statistics as well:
“Hardware really slowed down this month and all systems saw a unit sales decline versus last March, and on an average sales per week basis, versus February 2012. That said, the high definition console systems fared better than many other hardware platforms.”
“The Xbox 360 is the best-selling console system for the last 15, and the best-selling hardware platform overall for the past 8 months.”