Square Enix has announced the music-rhythm game Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (pronounced “theater rhythm”) will be released exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS in America, Europe, and other PAL territories this Summer.
This year marks the 25th anniversary of Final Fantasy, and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy is the first music rhythm game in the history of the world famous franchise.
The 3DS game was released in Japan on February 16th to great success! As seen in our weekly “Top 10 Bestselling Games Worldwide” articles, where it was shown topping the charts 2 weeks in its first month out.
Developed by rhythm game veteran Indies Zero (of Electroplankton fame), Square Enix brings more than 70 musical scores spanning 25 years to Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. The title features music from key events, lush field themes and decisive battle arrangements.
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy features a hybrid of music rhythm gameplay with RPG elements. Adorably re-designed heroes from the catalogue of Final Fantasy titles will set out on an adventure to combat memorable villains with the rhythmic taps of the player’s stylus.
- Revisit their most cherished memories from each Final Fantasy title.
- Strive to achieve the highest ranks in the challenge mode.
- Collect and share “dark notes,” a random music sheet that is riddled with hidden loot within the Chaos Shrine.
- Seek out crystal shards to unlock hidden characters.
- Additional songs will be available for download post-launch as DLC.
Watch the first Theatrhythm Final Fantasy gameplay trailer: