Over 80 Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4 video game characters from the large cast will be playable in Traveller’s Tales wizarding action adventure based off the first four best-selling Harry Potter books and films and the Lego Harry Potter toy set.
Unlocking new playable characters in Story Mode is quite difficult on the first playthrough, so we recommend replaying levels in Freeplay Mode after finishing the game. You still have to buy most of them, but you need to collect the icon/crest on a level first, before they are available for purchase. Easily found minor characters include Oliver Wood & Hannah Abbott, who don’t need to be bought. The rest of the secret characters like Snape we’ll give unlocking tips for in the list behind their name.
Index of LEGO Harry Potter Guides:
The following list of characters includes all types, from people to pets to creatures, all of which will be playable in the final game. Although this is a pretty full list, there may still be a character here or there that is missing. Spot any?
Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4 Known Playable Characters
1. Alastor Mad-Eye Moody — Not telling you how to find him, because most people get stuck in the glitched room below his Charms classroom. Unlock him last if you must, because getting stuck here stopped/ended many player’s game. Click on our Walkthrough page link above, at the bottom there are tips to get out.
2. Alicia Spinnet
3. Arthur Weasley
4. Bartemius Crouch Junior. — How to Unlock: At the end of the Quidditch World Cup level, when you’re near the Leaky Cauldron, go south and you’ll find a locked chest. Use the Reducto / Orange spell on it to break the lock. Then you can go find him upstairs in the Owlery. (Dark Magic user)
5. Bartemius Crouch Senior. — How to Unlock: He can be found in Year 4, level 1. You need the spell to blow up metal objects to get to him. In the owlery, you should use the time-turner, and clean up the owl poop with the owl plummer machine that can be gotten out of the locked chest. Then you’ll be rewarded with him. — Thanks to Eoin for the tip.
6. Cedric Diggory
– Cedric (Lake Task): First set off the orange firework in the grass area outside Hagrid’s house, then use the flying pumpkin to get high enough to reach it.
– Ginny Weasley (Cardigan): First set off the Blue firework in the grass area outside Hagrid’s house, then use the flying pumpkin to get high enough (and a go little further) to reach it.
7. Cho Chang — How to Unlock: In the Owlery, up the stairs and the owl elevator. There is a record player with three records. Play/listen to all three records to get her token. One’s in the open, the second one is hidden in the brown boxes, and the third one is in a silver chest/in the drawer. — Thanks for the tip Rachel.
8 & 9. Colin Creevey & Molly Weasley
– Molly Weasley: Molly’s Token can be found by destroying the large silver boulder at the back of the Hogwarts dinner hall.
– Colin Creevey: Colin’s token is also located in the Hogwarts dinner hall on the right hand side of the large teachers table. Simply destroy the large silver boulder and the token will be all yours.
10. Cornelius Fudge — How to Unlock: Find him in the “Dementor’s Kiss” level. Straight past the Dementors, to the right. Then smash the white plants, then talk Parseltongue to the snakehead and you’ll get his token.
11. Crookshanks (can be controlled by Hermione)
12. Death Eater — How to Unlock: It’s somewhere in Year 4 “The Quidditch World Cup” level.
13. Dobby — How to Unlock: You can find his token in “Dobby’s Plan” level, by jumping on a bed in the hospital room. — Be sure to leave a comment if you were able to do Jester’s bed jumping challenge mentioned in the video!
14. Draco Malfoy (Hogwarts, Quidditch) — How to Unlock: He’s somewhere in the Year 2 “Dobby’s Plan” level. For Draco Malfoy (Dark Magic user?) go the the Slytherin dorm. There is a painting next to the fireplace that you need to hit with magic. A Wizard will appear and toss a piece of luggage into the middle of the room between the two couches. Hit that and your character token will appear. — Thanks Rachel.
* Draco (Muggle Clothes) can be found in the Year 1 ” Forbidden Forest” level. Draco Malfoy in muggle clothes (Dark Magic User) is in a boulder of shiny black sparkly rock. Use a Dark Wizard. — Thanks Juan.
15. Dragon Handler — How to Unlock: He’s in the Year 4 “Dragons” level. This token is found in a locked chest before you start pulling down the 3 chains that hold down the final dragon. Just blast the lock and open the chest.
16 & 17. Dudley Dursley & Mrs. Mason
– Dudley Dursley: Reboot the computer inside the Muggle goods room. The computer will restart and then fail, sending it to a “blue screen of death” after that the character token will appear.
– Mrs. Mason: The token for Mrs. Mason is found inside the Muggle goods room where Ron’s blue car is being held. Make sure you destroy all the flowers on the grass patch and hit the lawn mower to send the little rabbit running into the television. Now hit the TV and you will unlock the token.
18. Ernie Prang
19. Fang — How to Unlock: You can find his token in “The Forbidden Forest” level. Fang’s token is located underground, so you will need a character that can dig to reach it. See the video for the exact location.
20. Fleur Delacour — How to Unlock: You can open a chest in the “Herbology Lesson”. Her token is inside a chest when you go through the back door of the classroom.
21. Fred Weasley — How to Unlock: You can find him in the “Transfiguration Lesson”. It’s behind a chalkboard of the classroom.
22. George Weasley
23. Ginny Weasley (Muggle Clothes, Hogwarts) — How to Unlock: She’s somewhere in Year 4 “The Quidditch World Cup” level.
24. Gregory Goyle — How to Unlock: This token is locked up inside a dark magic box in the Slytherin common room.
* Goyle (Sweater): To get Goyle in sweater you will need to take the lock off the character machine inside the candy store in the Year 3 “Hogsmeade” level.
25. Griphook the Goblin — How to Unlock: Once you have the Reducto spell, you can open a chest in the first “The Magic Begins” level of the game. It’s inside Gringotts Wizarding Bank towards the end in one of the chests locked with a metallic object.
26. Gryffindor Boy — How to Unlock: Look behind the sofa he is sleeping on in the Year 1 “Hogwarts” level.
27. Gryffindor Girl
28. Hagrid — How to Unlock: You’ll need to find his character token in the Year 1 “The Forbidden Forest” level, and then buy him. Keep an eye open for the chest as soon as you come out of the large tree that was blocked by boulders. Requires Reducto. — Thanks to Zon for the tip.
29. Hannah Abbott
30. Harry Potter
– To get the Slytherin Disguise for Harry, you must return to the “Face of the Enemy” level, to the section where you chase down the key on your broom. Before you start that though, blow open the lock on the small cabinet and retrieve Harry’s token.
– Harry’s Character token for his Sweater is in a chest in Knock turn alley in the Floo Powder level as soon as you exit the magic shop with Hagrid defeat the spider and the chest is right in front of you.
– Harry in Blue Shirt is a quick one for you to get. It’s located behind the spiral staircase that leads up to the dormitory from the Hogwarts main concourse.
– Harry (Tuxedo): To get your hands on Harry in his tuxedo, go into Madam Malkin’s Robes in Diagon Alley and blast the changing room curtain for a cheeky token.
– Harry (Pajamas) – Found in level The Restricted Section, requires Reducto.
– Harry (Hogwarts) – In the Owelry using the Time Turner, requires Reducto.
– Harry (Quidditch) – In the Brooms classroom, requires the ability to dig.
– Harry (Lake Task) – Found in level The Black Lake.
– Harry (Maze Task) – Found in the Hogwarts Tower Gear Room, requires Reducto.
– Harry (Girl Disguise) – Found in level A Jinxed Broom.
– Harry (Dragon Task) – Found in level The First Task, requires Dark Magic.
31. Hermione Granger
– Hermione (Ballgown): To get Hermione in her ballgown, re-arrange the clothes rack inside Madam Malkin’s Robe store with Wingardium Leviosa.
– Hermione (Cat) – Hogwarts Restroom area, requires a character with a book.
– Hermione (Blue Top) – In the Divination class, requires Dark Magic.
– Hermione (Grey Hooded Top) – Inside the Owelry, requires Riddikulus.
– Hermione (Hogwarts) – In the Owlery, requires the Time Turner.
– Hermione (Red Hooded Top) – Found in the level The Shrieking Shack, requires the Reducto spell.
32. Hufflepuff Boy
33. Hufflepuff Girl — How to Unlock: You’ll need to find her character token in the “Hufflepuff common room”. Go through the second door, break a box, and then build a radio to get the token.
34. Hufflepuff Prefect — How to Unlock: You’ll need to find this character token by building blocks in the Courtyard that leads to the Owlery. — Thanks for the tip Joe.
35 & 36. Igor Karkaroff & Shifty Wizard:
– Igor Karkaroff: Igor can be found by building the wood pile underneath the walkway in Knockturn Alley. Now you can run up the new stairs and collect your token.
– Shifty Wizard: This Shifty character can be found in Knockturn Alley. By zapping the table outside the shop the table will bounce around once it stops jump on and you will be thrown high enough to reach him.
37. James Potter (Ghost) — How to Unlock: He’s in the Year 3 “The Dark Tower” level. As soon as you defeat the first Dementor in the dark tower level, there is a locked door to the left. Walking through the door leads you down to a lower balcony with a Dementor and a student in peril. Walking through the door will collect the token.
38. Justin Finch-Fletchley — How to Unlock: In Year 2’s Polyjuice Potion lesson, add all the ingredients to the potion. — You can see how to unlock him at 7 minutes into this video, and the time leading up to it shows how to get all the ingredients you need to get him.
39. Katie Bell – How to Unlock: Found by the Quidditch arena, requires Lumos Solem.
40. Lily Potter-Evans (Ghost) — How to Unlock: She’s in Year 3 “The Dark Tower” level. As soon as you enter the long hall way in the dark tower, you will see a locked chest in the centre of the hallway. Destroy the lock and the chest to reveal the token.
41. Lord Voldemort (Weak, Re-Born) — How to Unlock: Find all 200 Gold Bricks, then don’t go to the Owl Emporium shop in Diagon Alley, but instead you go to the shop at the end of Knockturn Alley and build the portal to the final level. Note that if you want to get 100%, you need to play the level you unlocked after getting the Lord Voldemort character. (Dark Magic user) – Thanks to Jet for the tip.
42. Lucious Malfoy — How to Unlock: In the Year 2 “Follow The Spiders” level, you can find his token when you reach that bit with the giant spider in a locked chess. — Thanks to Zath.
43. Madam Pomfrey – How to Unlock: Found in the Dobby’s Plan level, requires Dark Magic.
44. Madam Pince – How to Unlock: Found in the hallway to the right of the courtyard, hit the three.
green wall panels, Requires Reducto for last one
45. Madam Rolanda Hooch — How to Unlock: Madam Hooch is found in the girls bathroom that has the huge padlock on the door, use Reducto to blow the lock and gain access. Now move down the stairs and next to the three green changing room lockers is a small barrel. Blow that barrel up to reveal a spray can that you’ll be able to use your Wingardium Leviosa on it, to spray a giant wizard face on the wall after which the token will appear.
46. Marjorie Dursley
47. Milkman — How to Unlock: You can find him in the time turner room that has the four purple clocks in it. Use the time turner to make his token appear.
48. Moaning Myrtle — How to Unlock: She can be found in the Year 2 “The Basilisk” level. You need the Reducto spell to get to her. She’s in a chest, where the big sink is behind it, it’s at the start of the level. — Thanks to Tom.
* You can find her Swimsuit Crest at the start of Year 4 “Secret of the Egg” in the bathroom. It’s right next to the bath as shown here:
52. Ollivander — How to Unlock: Find him in the “The Magic Begins” level. In the Gringotts Wizarding Bank, go to the left to find a locked chest (as seen in the video). Use the Reducto spell on the chest to open it and get his token.
53. Padma Patil — How to Unlock: Found near the Quidditch Gate, requires Lumos Solem.
– Padma (Ballgown) – Found in the Ravenclaw Dorm, requires Riddikulus and a Ravenclaw character.
54. Percy Weasley — How to Unlock: Percy’s Sweater token is activated by hitting the two empty flower holders outside the entrance to the room with Ron’s blue car, more lovingly known as the Muggle goods room.
55. Peter Pettigrew — How to Unlock: Find him in the “Shrieking Shack” level. While you’re putting all pieces together to make the trap, just blow up everything, run around in the entire room, use your spells on whatever, and you’ll find him. — Thanks to Crazy4Moony.
56. Petunia Dursley — How to Unlock: She can be found behind “Hagrid’s Hut”. You must use the time turner and then dig to find her token.
57. Professor Albus Dumbledore — How to Unlock: You’ll need to find his character token by going up the moving stairs and into “Dumbledore’s Office”. It’s in a dark magic box, all that’s left after finding it is to buy him.
– Professor Dumbledore (Grey) – Dumbledore’s Office.
58. Professor Filius Flitwick – Second Charms class, requires Reducto and a Goblin.
59. Professor Binns – Found in the News From Azkaban level, requires Reducto.
60 & 61. Professor Gilderoy Lockhart & Wizard (Green) — How to Unlock: Both of these tokens are inside dark magic crates being held down by devils snare on the ledge that has the plunger on it, as the squid rises out the water for the first time. This is on the Year 2 “The Basilisk” level.
– Gilderoy Lockhart (Green Jacket) – Found in Hagrids Garden, requires Reducto.
62. Professor Minerva McGonagall — How to Unlock: You’ll need to find her character token in the “Transfiguration Room”, it’s in the wardrobe and comes out after you cast a Reducto spell on all the enemies in the room. Then go and buy her.
63. Professor Pomona Sprout — How to Unlock: Find her in the “Herbology Lesson”. Use a crying Mandrake to break five glass items, and you’ll unlock her.
64. Professor Quirinus Quirrell (Dark Magic user) — How to Unlock: His token is made available as soon as you use dark magic on the chess piece on the left-front, lying on the board in the Pendulum Room.
65. Professor Severus Snape (Dark Magic user) — How to Unlock: Requires the Reducto spell and a Goblin. In Hogwarts go to the unlocked aging potions room. Once inside, exit again to the right and enter the giant snake room; Here you must unlock three locks on the far right gate (The second key is in the mouth of the snake, together with a skeleton, and you need to be Griphook the Goblin to open it). This in turn gives you access to the upper levels of the room; There you’ll find Snape in a box on the left side.
66. Professor Sinistra – How to Unlock: Found in the Follow the Spiders level, requires Dark Magic.
67. Professor Trelawney – How to Unlock: Found in the Divination classroom, requires a Goblin.
68. Professor Vector – How to Unlock: Found in the Tom Riddle’s Diary level, requires a Goblin.
69. Ravenclaw Prefect — How to Unlock: He can be found in the “Clocktower Courtyard” (where you find ghost money red box). There is a silver-armoured statue in the fountain that you need to blow up. Once he is blown up there’s some goo that shows up on the floor. Ride the bouncing plunger over the goo puddles until it disappears, and the Ravenclaw Prefect token will show up in the fountain where the statue once stood. — Thanks to Wolfsong.
70. Ravenclaw Boy – How to Unlock: Found near the Quidditch Gate, requires Lumos Solem.
71. Ravenclaw Girl – How to Unlock: Found in the Library, requires Reducto.
72. Remus Lupin — How to Unlock: Find him in the Year 3 “Dementor’s Kiss” level. Just blow up the lock on the chest, it’s not buried. You’ll need to have learnt the Reducto spell first.
73. Rita Skeeter — How to Unlock: Near the entrance to the Slytherin common room. Go there just before Slytherin and under the water are two levers. Using a strong character like Hagrid pull the levers on either side of the door and each one turns the water vault lock in the centre of the room. Once both levers have been pulled, it opens up, and a fountain spray gushes up to the ceiling, then jump into the spray and it will take you up to Rita Skeeter’s token. — Thanks to Hayley.
74. Ron Weasley
– How to Unlock Ron (Cardigan): His token is made available as soon as you use dark magic on the chess piece in the right-back, lying on the board. It’s in the level Face of the Enemy.
– Ron (Brown Jacket) can be found behind “Hagrid’s Hut”. You must use Wingardium Leviosa to move the mushrooms to find his token.
– Ron (Tuxedo) – By the lake, which is reached by opening the gate right of Hagrids Hut, requires Reducto.
– Ron (Girl Disguise) – Found in the level Out of the Dungeons, requires a character with a book.
– Ron (Hogwarts) – Located in the Gryffindor classroom.
– Ron (Pyjamas) – Located in the second DADA class.
– Ron (Sweater) – Found in the Follow the Spiders level.
– Ron (Slytherin Disguise) – Found in level Crabbe and Goyle, requires Reducto.
75. Scabbers (can be controlled by Ron)
76. Seamus Finnigan — How to Unlock: He can be found in the “Gryffindor Bedroom”. When in Griffendor tower’s bedroom use Hermione and the time turner clock. When the time has been turned, in the place of a clock is a chest. Use the Reducto spell on the silver lock to release his token. — Thanks for the tip to Rachel.
77. Sirius Black — How to Unlock: Find him in the “Dark Tower” level. His token is found in the room with the tile puzzle cupboard in the dark tower. You will need to use dark magic on the chest to reveal his token. You can use Snape to get to him easily.
78. Slytherin Boy — How to Unlock: Found in the Slytherin Common Room, requires a Slytherin character.
79. Slytherin Girl — How to Unlock: Found in the Slytherin Common Room, requires Slytherin character.
80. Slytherin Prefect — How to Unlock: Found in the LEGO courtyard, requires Dark Magic.
81. Station Guard — How to Unlock: Find him by lighting four candles/torches when you first go in Hogwarts’ Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom.
82. The Bloody Baron — How to Unlock: In Knockturn Alley near where you get the Shifty Wizard is a token for The Bloody Baron. There is a cart next to a wall. Build a set of stairs by casting Wingardium Leviosa on the wood to get it out of the cart, then hop INTO the cart. Use the spell that Mad-eye Moody teaches you on the cart while you’re inside it, and it will blow you up to reach The Bloody Baron. — Thanks to Wolfsong for the tip.
83. The Fat Friar: How to Unlock: Go to the “Hufflepuff common room” and use the cake on the friars painting. When he’s done, cast a spell on the other painting. When you do, a cake comes out. Cast a spell on it and it will give you the token. — Thanks tot Nrc42 for the tip.
84. Tom Riddle (Age 16) — How to Unlock: He can be found in Year 2 “The Basilisk” level. His token is locked in a vault at the rear of the Basilisk boss room. You will need Griphook the Goblin to open the vault and reveal the token.
85. Tom the Innkeeper — How to Unlock: Find him in the “The Magic Begins” level. In the Gringotts Wizarding Bank, go to the right to find a locked chest (as seen in the video). Use the Reducto spell on the chest to open it and get his token.
86. Uncle Vernon Dursley — How to Unlock: Find him right before using the time turner. It’s in the room with the four purple clocks. Use the snake door to get an egg, then when you have the egg feed it to the snake, next hit the snake’s tail to get his token.
87. Viktor Krum — How to Unlock: You can find him outside “Hagrid’s Hut”. Use dark magic and then power to destroy the three statues.
That will make him appear in the air, use your pumpkin propeller hat to fly up and reach the token. — Thanks for the tip Joy.
88. Vincent Crabbe — How to Unlock: You can find his token in “Crabbe and Goyle” level. To get your hands on vincent’s character token destroy the silver signs blocking access to the area behind the taps as soon as you start the level. See the video for the exact location.
89. Walden Macnair — How to Unlock: You find him on the level “Dementor’s kiss”. When you are on the frozen lake, go to the left and use Lumos on the Devil’s Snare. The boulder will fall and destroy the ice. Do not kill all of the Dementors who come after you. On the right side of the lake, use Wingardium Leviosa on the fallen bricks. Knock down the branch on the tree, get your mate to go on the fallen branch and lift them up (Wingardium Leviosa). Use Dark Magic on the black bricks. — Thanks to Roger.
90. Witch (Grey) — How to Unlock: Found in The Shrieking Shack level, requires Dark Magic.
91. Boy — How to Unlock: To find the Boy you go into Professor Flitwick’s room where you get Lumos and go up the very top and do some stuff.
92. Girl — How to Unlock: To find the Girl you go into Professor Flitwick’s room where you get Wingardium Leviosa and go up the very top and do some stuff. — Thanks for these last two tips to Danny.
This Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4 video showcases the characters that you’ll see and be able to play as in the game. And gives you a behind the scenes look at the making of Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4.
Huge thanks to Sollllo for finishing up the majority of the list.
Please leave a comment if you see missing characters and know how to find them. Thanks!