Unlock Super Mario Galaxy 2 cheats to secrets with the tips in this guide. This includes how to get unlimited lives, infinite Yoshi flutter jumps, how to unlock Luigi for all levels, and various hints for this all-new Mario platformer sequel on the Nintendo Wii.
INDEX OF SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 GUIDES:
Cheat: Infinite 1UPs for 99 lives.
In Supermassive Galaxy after the mid-way point of the “Huge Trouble with Big Wigglers” level. There are 3 giant Koopa Troopas in a cylindrical area (see screenshot above). Once there run to the right and a make a long jump to land over the giant Koopa’s shell, by holding right on your analog stick you’ll keep jumping on top of it. You’ll get unlimited extra lives for free!
Watch this video to see the cheat being done with Mario:
Cheat: Collect more infinite lives.
A second way to get Infinite Lives in the Supermassive Galaxy level “Huge Trouble With Big Wigglers”, is by going to the 1UP Mushroom floating above the gap between the “Tip Network TV” block and the next block. Long Jump over this gap to collect the 1UP and then Long Jump back and speak to the TV. The TV will show you how to perform the Long Jump via a short “Tip Network” video. When that is over, you’ll notice that the 1UP Mushroom has returned! You can now collect the 1UP and talk to the TV and it’ll return again! This 1UP Mushroom will respawn indefinitely, so you can keep collecting it for Infinite Lives!
Cheat: Yoshi’s infinite flutter jump.
* How to perform Yoshi’s infinite flutter jump cheat: Jump holding the A button, before you finish fluttering (while still holding A) press the Z button to crouch mid-air, then quickly release A, then press A again, and repeat. After a while you’ll get used to it, and it becomes easy enough that you can go anywhere you want, although it is at a rather slow pace.
Watch this video to see the cheat being done with Yoshi:
Secret: Unlock Luigi.
* Find “The Flotacious Blimp Fruit” Power Star in the Tall Trunk Galaxy to unlock Luigi for play on certain levels. On the levels that allow for this, you’ll find Luigi waiting for you at the start, so talk to him if you want to take control of him.
Secret: Play as Luigi in every level.
* Finish the game once, and you’ll be able to walk into a door on Starship Mario’s forehead, after which Mario will transform into Luigi for play on any level.
Tip: Unlock Staff Ghosts.
* Finish a level with Luigi to unlock a Staff Ghost, which is a recording of the game’s developers playing that level. Try and beat this Staff Ghost as it makes its way through the level at hyper-speed.
Tip: Unlock the Secret World.
Finish the game once to unlock a World 7 AKA Secret World.
Tip: Unlock 120 Green Stars to collect.
* Find the 120 gold Power Stars, then finish the game afterwards, and you’ll unlock 120 more green Power Stars to collect! These are stars #121 to #240.
Tip: Super Ground Pound.
* Jump with Mario, shake the Wii Remote to spin and then quickly press on the Z button to perform a super ground pound. What this does is hone-in on enemies below you, convenient like a heat-seeking missile, or rather heat-seeking butt-stomp.
Hint: How To Play The Game.
A video tutorial showing how to control Mario to clear a level.
Hint: Collect even more 1UP Mushrooms hidden around Spaceship Mario. More will appear as you collect more stars in the game. Here are four locations:
1. Get Yoshi from Spaceship Mario’s nose, then use his tongue to reach the star pegs and swing up to a hidden island with 10 fruits on it. Eat all 10 for a 1UP.
2. Find a Cloud Flower, grab it to make platforms to reach a 1UP on a cloud high above.
3. Kick the random item block for a small chance to get a 1UP.
4. Go down the warp pip near Mario’s left ear (your right) to play a 1UP mini-game. In it you can feed the Luma in order to spin a number of random item blocks for a chance to win 1UPs.
Random: Banker Toad’s new items.
The Toad that banks your starbits will unlock new items for himself, as you deposit more starbits in his bank. But Mario can’t use these items, instead the greedy bugger keeps them for his own use. Although he does pay out “interest” occasionally in the shape of a few starbits and 1UPs periodically. Here are the four items he buys himself with your earnings:
1. Deposit 1000 star bits to give him glasses.
2. Deposit 2000 star bits to give him a spear and shield.
3. Deposit 4000 star bits to give him a pickaxe.
4. Deposit 5000 star bits to give him mining gear.